My new Redfoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xastur

5 Year Member
Just wanted to share pics of my new cherryhead RF tortoise! His name is Fabio (long story) and hes picked up to his new habitat like a champ! He's eating well and is very personable always peering out of his hide in the morning to see when i am going to lay down his breakfast! I use fresh grass that we change out weekly as he is outdoors because i live in miami.. I was wondering if there was any negatives to using grass? As soon as he is big enough he'll move out of his tub and into a huge outdoor enclosure where hopefully ill have a partner in there for him =)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't keep redfoot tortoises, but I do have some Yellowfoot tortoises. I personally wouldn't use grass. You want something that you can keep moist. Grass will heat up and mold. I like to use cypress mulch or orchid bark. You can keep both of them moist and they don't get sour or moldy.

Yvonne

Xastur

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I don't keep redfoot tortoises, but I do have some Yellowfoot tortoises. I personally wouldn't use grass. You want something that you can keep moist. Grass will heat up and mold. I like to use cypress mulch or orchid bark. You can keep both of them moist and they don't get sour or moldy.

Yvonne

Yeah i see what your saying thats why we change it out every week and when he gets the new grass its always so moist and he loves it.. i also mist his hide and keep it nice and humid.. not that it needs help being in miami lol. i have coconut coir substrate would that be a good choice for bedding?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. Quite a few folks like to mix the coir with either clean dirt or sand.

Yvonne

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I have seend people use real grass and it works great! seem like you got it under control

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
We've had a number of redfoot owners contact us about 'commercial' substrate such as coconut coir substrate. To keep the humidity UP to a 'desired' % they have experienced a fungus starting to grow on the plastron.. because the coconut coir substrate holds the humidity like a sponge.

Cypress mulch retains humidity but does dry on the surface when the temps are kept up.. so you will want/need to mist your redfoot "until-he-drips" to keep his carapace from pyramiding.

He may be doing fine now on the 'grass'?.. but will lose activity when the temps and humidity stay below low to mid 80's F/%.

What are you using for heat and light and hide?

Terry K

Xastur

5 Year Member
We live in Miami so humidity is always in the 80% or higher range and in the winter im gunna be bringing him inside with a basking light. Hes outside in a tote with and then brought inside at night so as not to be attacked at night by predators. we cover him with a mesh screen and hes brought into my dads outdoor office where humidty is still kept up at night and then hes brought right back outside in the morning. I mist 3 or 4 times a day and the grass is changed every 3 to 5 days when it starts to dry out. My dad works from home and is constantly checking up on him and he has a standard log hide you can pick up from any pet store.

Redfoot NERD said:
We've had a number of redfoot owners contact us about 'commercial' substrate such as coconut coir substrate. To keep the humidity UP to a 'desired' % they have experienced a fungus starting to grow on the plastron.. because the coconut coir substrate holds the humidity like a sponge.

Cypress mulch retains humidity but does dry on the surface when the temps are kept up.. so you will want/need to mist your redfoot "until-he-drips" to keep his carapace from pyramiding.

He may be doing fine now on the 'grass'?.. but will lose activity when the temps and humidity stay below low to mid 80's F/%.

What are you using for heat and light and hide?

Terry K

Also i have coconut coir which was suggested by Blue beast reptiles which is where we got him from.. but i havent put any down and i doubt im going to now with the revelation that it could cause shell rot. I've read where you use sphagnum moss (sp) and i may consider buying that if the grass is gunna cause problems later.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The sphagnum can cause rot as well if it is too wet. Here in Omaha I struggle in the winter to keep the balance that prevents the wet 'shell to soil contact' that causes the rot (especially in the humid hides where they are in longer-term contact), and keeping humidity up. In Florida, with the better background humidity, it would probably work just fine for you... but with your humidity, so would a lot of other options.

Coconut coir works for a lot of people, especially if you mix it with sand to improve the drainage. Some people then cover it with something a bit drier, like a shredded or chipped wood mulch (although that can be a lot of work by this time.) I stopped using it period because I always seem to get fungal gnats with it- at least the more acid environment of the moss helps prevent that.

Xastur

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
The sphagnum can cause rot as well if it is too wet. Here in Omaha I struggle in the winter to keep the balance that prevents the wet 'shell to soil contact' that causes the rot (especially in the humid hides where they are in longer-term contact), and keeping humidity up. In Florida, with the better background humidity, it would probably work just fine for you... but with your humidity, so would a lot of other options.

Coconut coir works for a lot of people, especially if you mix it with sand to improve the drainage. Some people then cover it with something a bit drier, like a shredded or chipped wood mulch (although that can be a lot of work by this time.) I stopped using it period because I always seem to get fungal gnats with it- at least the more acid environment of the moss helps prevent that.

So can the grass im using cause shell rot as well? the way it works usually is i mist him on his shell and his hide and the bottom layer of the grass is nice and moist while the top layer is moderately dry.. i just dont wanna harm him or cause pain if grass is gunna be a bad idea

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My experience is that if he is basically sleeping on a WET surface, there will probably be rot. As far as your grass goes, if it is dry or only slightly damp on their plastron it is probably OK- but that is a guess without seeing the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.