My Red-foot. Need help to see if Bowzer is a male or Female.

TMartin510

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
I asked my friend to take a pic while I'm gone but it seems he scared my Redfoot, can you still tell or do I need a better picture? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1439418953084.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 50

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I asked my friend to take a pic while I'm gone but it seems he scared my Redfoot, can you still tell or do I need a better picture? Thanks!
Could do with better photos really. But looks male to me. Is that it's tail near the top back leg.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Yeah I believe so, I'm like 95% sure he's a male but I wanna make sure before I get a female, ima get a better pic tomorow, hopefully my friend won't scare the day lights out of him -_- I hate being away from my torts..

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yeah I believe so, I'm like 95% sure he's a male but I wanna make sure before I get a female, ima get a better pic tomorow, hopefully my friend won't scare the day lights out of him -_- I hate being away from my torts..
How big is he. I hate being away from my torts too.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Let me post a pic, I got him about 2 weeks ago maybe 3 now, and he's just awesome.

Attachments

• 1439461389497.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 1439461438505.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 1439461464226.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 34

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My temp terrarium setup, Whatcha think?
Hi there.
What size is your tort? I don't think he has enough room, do you get him out to exercise.
Also he needs a water dish, and big enough for him to sit in it.
I would put some of that spagnhum moss on the ground as well.
Those gauges you are using are not very accurate. You can buy cheap digital gauges that are more accurate, I used to have a humidity gauge like that, it read 90%, when I got my digital readers(6 of them) they read 60%ish. So I was 30%ish off the mark.
What are you using for your uvb?

Looks nice though.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I haven't measured him yet but I'd say 6-8 inches so far, when I got him he was very light. So I soak him right now every other day. I had a ramp bowl in there but found it isn't recconmended and it wasn't deep enough anyways so I took it out and I'm in the market for a new one if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Right now that's his temp set up, while I build him a huge one. I figured this is way better then what he had at the store where he was crammed in half the size I'd say with like 10 russians. So I got him and took him home. And set him up like this, I had more moss in there, but the kind I got was bad and quickly molded so I took him out and ripped out everything and redid it, the moss on the left is zoomed brand I think and he loves that one so far. I take him out everyday and right now the weather in cali is nice. He had a mate that he was with at the store, someone sold them both to the reptile store, and someone bought the female I guess and not him, after that he got depressed they said and they thought he may not make it. So I took him home and now I'm doin everything I can to make him happy, next on the list is a home made tort table and an outside graze pen. I will post the pic of the uvb bulb next, and I will pick up some digital ones when I get home, thanks for the advice!

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Yeah 20 exactly. What I had before was one of those dome lamps, read on it and found out it does only 6 inches with the tropical uvb bulb repti sun 5.0 compact. Instantly went to the reptile room, which they are the one store I go to really because the owner knows quite a bit about reptiles, and his set ups are nice, he would have had my guy in a bigger terrarium but it didn't have a lock and people will steal. And talked with him, and picked up the better lamp and bulb for my redfoot when I build my table I think I will lower the walls a little bit for the extra uvb. For my basking bulb I use 100 watt right now, I upgraded from 75 and he loves it way more now. But would you recommend the 150 watt?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I haven't measured him yet but I'd say 6-8 inches so far, when I got him he was very light. So I soak him right now every other day. I had a ramp bowl in there but found it isn't recconmended and it wasn't deep enough anyways so I took it out and I'm in the market for a new one if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Right now that's his temp set up, while I build him a huge one. I figured this is way better then what he had at the store where he was crammed in half the size I'd say with like 10 russians. So I got him and took him home. And set him up like this, I had more moss in there, but the kind I got was bad and quickly molded so I took him out and ripped out everything and redid it, the moss on the left is zoomed brand I think and he loves that one so far. I take him out everyday and right now the weather in cali is nice. He had a mate that he was with at the store, someone sold them both to the reptile store, and someone bought the female I guess and not him, after that he got depressed they said and they thought he may not make it. So I took him home and now I'm doin everything I can to make him happy, next on the list is a home made tort table and an outside graze pen. I will post the pic of the uvb bulb next, and I will pick up some digital ones when I get home, thanks for the advice!
Cool, sounds like you know what you are doing. Have you got any plant pot dishes you can put in there as a mini bath. Also do you have any cuttlefish for him to chow on for calcium, also keeps his beak in shape.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yeah 20 exactly. What I had before was one of those dome lamps, read on it and found out it does only 6 inches with the tropical uvb bulb repti sun 5.0 compact. Instantly went to the reptile room, which they are the one store I go to really because the owner knows quite a bit about reptiles, and his set ups are nice, he would have had my guy in a bigger terrarium but it didn't have a lock and people will steal. And talked with him, and picked up the better lamp and bulb for my redfoot when I build my table I think I will lower the walls a little bit for the extra uvb. For my basking bulb I use 100 watt right now, I upgraded from 75 and he loves it way more now. But would you recommend the 150 watt?
Is your basking bulb on a thermostat?

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Yep he loves those bones like crazy. One morning I left one in there for him and I fell asleep after work and I woke up to him tearing it apart haha. I also got some of the zoomed calcium to sprinkle on his food here and there. Now I was wondering how often should they eat protien? I hear they eat shrimp or pinky mice and such from time to time. I was told that the terra cotta saucer dish is a good option and I plan to check it out when I get back home, also I got him a food bowl that has a walk path so he doesn't have to climb into it making it easier for him to eat.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have the guages on the back wall behind it, it says 95 I believe, but I'm upgrading both to digital asap
Under that bulb will be a lot hotter than on the back wall. You need to check temp in the basking area.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That's true, would you say I should put it under or on the wall on the side near the basking area?
You can't leave the gauge under the bulb. But just for a few minutes put it under and see what it gets to on the gauge.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Thanks! Also I was curious would you say my guy is a Red-foot or Cherry-head? The store sold him to me as a Redfoot so I assume he is. But I just want to make sure first. They said he is 4 years old and they thought he was done growing but if he's a redfoot he will probably grow bigger?