My Redfoot - Elongated Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazoa

5 Year Member
Recently I covered the entire enclosure with chickenwire to prevent the entry of the occasional racoon that we have seen. Notice the 10 gallon acquarium turned upside down on top of the tortoise hut. It protects my Reptile thermostat that kicks on and off a 250-W infrared fixture and a back-up 100-W ceramic fixture. Here in jacksonville Fl we get down to 18 degrees in winter so my tortoises are shut in the enclosure and remain around 78-80 degrees on those cold nights. Anytime it drops below 55 degrees they go in the enclosure....Good Luck with your enclosures and setups...Richard

Attachments

• 360enclosure.jpg
    360enclosure.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 157

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice. However, what size is the tort house? Looks small for that many to be locked into on those cold nights. Also, are the RF and Elongated house together? That's never recommended as deseases can be passed between the two that the other has never been exposed to. However, if you have been keepi g them like that for quite some time, I guess if they were going to get something, it would have already happened.

amazoa

5 Year Member
Thanks for your concern about space. Actually that hut demensions is deceiving it is 36 inches deap by 30 inches wide. I also added one alittle bigger to it's left. Pic attached. About every two weeks I rake the cypress mulch out and add new mulch. I really don't feel their cramped at all. Knock on wood my tortoises are thriving....Richard

Attachments

• 2nd hut.jpg
    2nd hut.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 59

amazoa

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Looks nice. However, what size is the tort house? Looks small for that many to be locked into on those cold nights. Also, are the RF and Elongated house together? That's never recommended as deseases can be passed between the two that the other has never been exposed to. However, if you have been keepi g them like that for quite some time, I guess if they were going to get something, it would have already happened.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Thanks wellington, I'm not worried about housing the two species together since I have worked with them for years. do agree with you on just dumping say imports of either species with my collection that would pre dispose them to disease and would be a dumb move. They have been a closed group for over 10 years so I'm OK and they definately are with it. Earlier I posted the demensions of the first enclosure and I have added a second enclosure since that first picture was taken. -(pic added earlier of 2nd. enclosure) Not to worry they seem to have plenty of leg room. Thanks Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.