My Russian tortoise just ate 4 strawberries

SusannaH

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi guys, I have had a Russian tortoise for the past 14 years and she typically eats a mix of grocery store greens and weeds that I grow for her. However, I have been out of town and the person who I had taking care of her fed her 4 large strawberries thinking that they were common food for them. Obviously I corrected the mistake and made sure that they are only feeding the food I designated going forward, but I am so worried about the health impacts on my tort. What should I be looking for in terms of possible signs of disease? What are the chances of this making her very sick? Thank you so much for your help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, he will be fine. But how does someone looking after someone else's tort feed off the instructions I'm assuming you left them?
That's very irresponsible.

SusannaH

CA
Thank you all so much! My mind has been set at ease. ☺️ At least she enjoyed eating the most strawberries she will ever eat in one sitting lol. @wellington I know :/ this was a family friend who has watched me feed a small amount of strawberry as a treat and interpreted that to mean that strawberries are fine. Also a miscommunication on my part! But so glad that it’s not going to cause any major damage. Thanks again all!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I agree with the others that this one off feed won’t have done any harm😊

Welcome to the forum btw! Would love to see a photo of your tort and set up if you have some?🥰 do you house them inside or out?🐢💚