my russian tortoise's enclosure and some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas Nevada
ok i have several questions for you guys

i upgrade my russian tortoise's house 1st house : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYStStlxKD8
2nd house : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49JZWcrSEw is her second house big enough.

what is supposed to be her daily food/diet.

i give her warm bath everyday is that good?

what light and heat should i give to her? is uvb lamp/light is for heat or just light and where can i get a uvb lamp and uvb bulb?

im planning to buy a male russian tortoise to breed with her, if she lay eggs where does she lays it, where do i need to put the eggs and how and how many days does it hatches.

thanks in advance!

Herman Ben

5 Year Member
Giv her a goo diet of leaves and flowers. Do not give fruit regularly give fruit abot twice a month. For lighting you need an 100 watt heat bulb preferably prorep and a 5.0 reptiglo uvb tube. They usually lay there eggs in dampish burrows so ive heard. Giving her a bath every day is good but make it really shallow so it doesnt reach the head .

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Herman Ben said:
Giv her a goo diet of leaves and flowers. Do not give fruit regularly give fruit abot twice a month. For lighting you need an 100 watt heat bulb preferably prorep and a 5.0 reptiglo uvb tube. They usually lay there eggs in dampish burrows so ive heard. Giving her a bath every day is good but make it really shallow so it doesnt reach the head .

No offense, Ben, but I think you need to do a bit more reading yourself..

Regarding heating/lighting: It's impossible to recommend a given wattage to someone. So many things affect what wattage you need to achieve the ideal temperatures. Overall temperature of the room, distance from the light to the tortoise, whether there's some sort of rock (i.e. a piece of slate) under the light or if it's just dirt, and even what material the basking rock is (i.e. dark slate absorbs heat better than lighter colored stone). How moist the substrate is and ambient humidity can both have an effect.

For a Russian, you want to achieve a basking spot of 90-100F. (Opinions vary; I had great success with my Russians when offering a basking spot of 95-100F.) You have to play with bulb wattage and style until you find the wattage and type that works for your set up.

Regarding UVB, the general recommendation around here are the mercury vapor bulbs, such as ZooMed's PowerSun bulb. If you wish to use a fluorescent UVB, instead, the two that are considered most effective are the ReptiSun 10.0 and the Arcadia 12%. Never use compact fluorescent UVB bulbs; these are known for causing severe eye and health problems.

I'm not even sure that ReptiGlo emits any UVB at all! Much less enough to be of any benefit to your tortoise!

To the OP: I agree with giving fruit sparingly, if at all, and all the rest of your questions can be answered by reading relevant posts here on the forum and good care websites/sheets like the one Laurie recommended (RussianTortoise.org). There's nothing wrong with asking questions if something confuses you, but it will benefit you greatly to do some research of your own, as well. :)

Just wanted to get that said. Beyond that, as has been said, you only need to post your thread once. ;)

Good luck with your tortoise!

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, if you make a comment on your thread, any comment, then it goes to the top of the postings and people see it again.
So saying something like 'Any other comments?', will bring the post up to the top again.

That said, you have some really good suggestions on both posts, as well as the Russian tortoise link. You should be able to bet most of your questions answered via those posts and the link. After you review them, let us know if you have any additional questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.