My Son's New Buddies

rcklmbr2586

5 Year Member
Well, it seems like my torts just weren't doing it for my son, and he REALLY wanted some red foots :). I typically get in trouble everytime I bring home a new tortoise, but this time I had someone else to blame it on, so I hollered at a guy a few towns over, and picked up a few to his absolute delight. Introducing Curley, Scoots, and Moe (he always comes up with the goofiest of names)....Scoots and Moe are getting close to being two, and Curly just hit the year old mark from what I was told. In the last couple of weeks, the older two have put on close to 70 grams each, and Curly added 25 or so. They eat like pigs, and pretty much never stop moving. Curly looks pretty good to me, but Moe and Scoots have some issues with the bottoms of their shells. I'm not the most knowledgeable on red foots but in assuming some shell rot was involved, but I can't decide if the issues is stil going on, or if it was addressed, and this is just the left overs. I've been treating it like it was rot, but any clarification/advice would be great. I don't take great pictures, but here they are

Curley:

Scoots:

Moe:

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They're beauties, and I'm sure your son will be very happy (but I'd be willing to bet he'll lose interest in them in a month or so)

rcklmbr2586

5 Year Member
If he does that's fine....I already got passed the wife and they are home, so he did his job :). So is that "active" shell rot on the bigger two (and I should continue treating it as such), or is that just the left over results of it (pardon my ignorance....all the torts I have Dont really have issues with shell rot)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't look active to me, but treatment won't harm if there is nothing to treat. I'd go ahead and do a search here for shell rot and go through the treatment anyway just to be sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Yvonne. Nice looking torts, son will lose interest and probably old shell rot. I like your thinking, using the kid to get more animals. I did that too when my son was little. Take advantage of it, when my son hit his teen years, I couldn't use him any more as he isn't that interested in animals or reptiles:(:mad: I have no idea how I had a kid that doesn't care about having animals. Must have been a switch at birth:D

rcklmbr2586

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice friends! I'll continue the treatment like I have been....we are already 20 days in, so I'm guessing another 10 days or so should put me in the safe zone if there was anything active left.

We shall see if my son loses interest as he gets older. He is pretty eatin up with all things animal at this stage in his life though, and I don't see it happening any time soon. I walk in the door from work most days to find all of the tortoises soaked, water bowls refilled in all the enclosures, and animals meandering around their yards outside. Half of the time he has his boots on already, the falcons are weighed, the pointers are kenneled up, and he is ready to hit the field also! It's nice having a helper.... :)