My Star babies new astroturf

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
I decided to buy timothy hay today to replace the reptile carpet for my Stars astroturf. I saw my Stars try to bite of the reptile carpet a few times and that got me worried, hence; timothy hay. However there were a few sharp thorny twigs in the hay which I threw away.

-Are there any disadvantages of timothy hay?
-How often do I replace the hay?
-Do I add the hay in the tortoises diet?
-I put the balance of the hay in the fridge, is it ok?

I have attahced photos, enjoy!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Timothy hay does not tolerate wet or damp areas and will mold and mildew. I would not keep it in the fridge as the enviorment is damp. I would just place it in a dry area like a trash can or food storage bin with a lid. I would not add it to their diet as they have ready access to it all the time.
I do not have stars this is just what I have learned with my Greeks.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
I agree with Robyn, do not leave in the fridge. I just seal mine in a large bag. I would replace every few weeks as long as you are pooper scoopering and wiping up the pee, if not every week. I don't know about stars, but charlie loves to dig in his hay and hide!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sameer:

I would like to make a correction for you. When you asked what Astroturf was on a different thread, we told you it was what you had on your tortoise's floor. We meant that the carpet you are using is called "Astroturf."

When you have a product on the floor of the habitat besides Astroturf, or carpeting, it would be called "substrate."

Glad to see your little guys like the hay you are using as substrate!!

Yvonne

samstar

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input guys, just removed it from the fridge and sealed in in a plastic bag. The torts love it, they burry themselves in it at times. However this morning they ate very little of their food and I can only think reason being they must be grazing on the hay.

samstar

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Sameer:

I would like to make a correction for you. When you asked what Astroturf was on a different thread, we told you it was what you had on your tortoise's floor. We meant that the carpet you are using is called "Astroturf."

When you have a product on the floor of the habitat besides Astroturf, or carpeting, it would be called "substrate."

Glad to see your little guys like the hay you are using as substrate!!

Yvonne

Thanks, I'm learning

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Good to hear you have their substrate in order.

You may want to make a small area with cypress as a substrate.. to place a water-dish into. Make it large enough so that the "spillage" will not get into the hay. They are very messy and you will have to change their dish at least every day - in fact I only make water available to them a couple times a week. The dish should only be "chin-deep" so they can walk in and out at will.

Maybe this will help.. http://www.turtletary.com/stars.html - there is also a link to the "un-edited" article that was published in Jan. '08 Reptiles magazine.

Terry K

BTW.. leave the poop [ if you can find it ] they will and should be allowed to eat it. Don't listen to these "girls" that tell you it is "gross".. it's perfectly NORMAL.. and part of all tortoise behavior!
36_20_1.gif

samstar

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
Good to hear you have their substrate in order.

You may want to make a small area with cypress as a substrate.. to place a water-dish into. Make it large enough so that the "spillage" will not get into the hay. They are very messy and you will have to change their dish at least every day - in fact I only make water available to them a couple times a week. The dish should only be "chin-deep" so they can walk in and out at will.

Maybe this will help.. http://www.turtletary.com/stars.html - there is also a link to the "un-edited" article that was published in Jan. '08 Reptiles magazine.

Terry K

BTW.. leave the poop [ if you can find it ] they will and should be allowed to eat it. Don't listen to these "girls" that tell you it is "gross".. it's perfectly NORMAL.. and part of all tortoise behavior!
36_20_1.gif

Thanks for the link. yes I have made a small area for the water dish which I bought yesterday from the pet shop which is only chin deep for them to get in and out off. Sadly they are using it to poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.