My Sulcata is kinda weird... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Olly is weird. Everyone talks about their "hides". Well Olly doesnt like to hide! She is always out in the open. She loves attention and having her head rubbed. She also will not try the mazuri. I wet it and mushed it and chopped up greens in it... She ate the greens and left the mazuri... Lol. I also got her some Opunti Cactus and she wont try it! Both the fruit and the green plant part.... She loves her sone Endives and weeds though! And she loves a nice warm soak!
View attachment 31141
She prefers to sleep right here in the corner...

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute. Keep trying the cactus and Mazuri. My leopard wouldn't eat either one either at first. As he got older, he began to eat them both.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try smaller amounts of the new stuff. Also, cut back on food in general for a few days to build some hunger. Then offer the Mazuri or cactus spiked food for several days in a row, with no other way to satisfy her hernger. Tortoises are creatures of habit. Sometimes it takes them weeks to get used to the sight, taste or texture of a new food.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Ok. Thanks Tom. I will keep trying! I fixed her a nice salad sprinkled in mazuri a few days ago.... She ate the salad. Didnt look like she really touched the mazuri. Maybe a little.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
lori12386 said:
Olly is weird. Everyone talks about their "hides". Well Olly doesnt like to hide! She is always out in the open. She loves attention and having her head rubbed. She also will not try the mazuri. I wet it and mushed it and chopped up greens in it... She ate the greens and left the mazuri... Lol. I also got her some Opunti Cactus and she wont try it! Both the fruit and the green plant part.... She loves her sone Endives and weeds though! And she loves a nice warm soak!

She prefers to sleep right here in the corner...

cut the cactus up in really small pieces, cut all the weeds up in really small pieces, and mix them together. He will probably eat it then :)

Carl used to be a picky eater, but I started to do this and now he will literally eat anything... I catch him eating dirt sometimes... goofy tortoise :)

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Mine would not eat Mazuri at first, I did what Tom suggested, I cut back the food I gave them and offered three Mazuri pellets, softened with warm water. I have three, and mine started to eat it a little bit and after a few times they all love the Mazuri. I could not get them to eat grass and weeds that they were not grazing on. I chopped it up and mixed it with the Mazuri and now they are eating the grass and weeds when they are not outside grazing. They also would not touch the opuntia cactus. Someone suggested grating it on their Mazuri so I did that, success! So long story shorter, keep trying and yours will come around. As to the hide, just keep putting yours in at night and hopefully it will get the idea and do it on its own. Good luck and keep posting pictures and updates.:)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
lovelyrosepetal said:
Mine would not eat Mazuri at first, I did what Tom suggested, I cut back the food I gave them and offered three Mazuri pellets, softened with warm water. I have three, and mine started to eat it a little bit and after a few times they all love the Mazuri. I could not get them to eat grass and weeds that they were not grazing on. I chopped it up and mixed it with the Mazuri and now they are eating the grass and weeds when they are not outside grazing. They also would not touch the opuntia cactus. Someone suggested grating it on their Mazuri so I did that, success! So long story shorter, keep trying and yours will come around. As to the hide, just keep putting yours in at night and hopefully it will get the idea and do it on its own. Good luck and keep posting pictures and updates.:)

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Last edited by a moderator:

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thanks for the advice!

lovelyrosepetal said:

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Glad I could be of help. Your tortoise is beautiful!

Keep the pictures coming, they are so much fun!

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thank you. You dont have to tell me that again. Lol. Im a camera addict! Instagram Crazy! Haha.

:(
lovelyrosepetal said:
Glad I could be of help. Your tortoise is beautiful!

Keep the pictures coming, they are so much fun!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oh, how cute your baby is. Love to see that she's eating all the right stuff. My husband and I think it's really cute that she doesn't like her hide and prefers attention and head rubs. I have one sulcata that rarely did stick her head in her shell. She loves head rubs, and doesn't have the sense to protect her head in case of a predator. I worry about that, but for now, we are just loving her strange ways. When she gets stressed out, she sticks her arms straight out and doesn't wag them like her sibling does. But, she does love her hide....I would worry if she continues to avoid it; but, that's me. Love the pics. Keep them coming.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Thanks. Shes a silly one. She actually slept under the purslane plant last night. So she was hidden. Just not in her log cave.... Lol.

sibi said:
Oh, how cute your baby is. Love to see that she's eating all the right stuff. My husband and I think it's really cute that she doesn't like her hide and prefers attention and head rubs. I have one sulcata that rarely did stick her head in her shell. She loves head rubs, and doesn't have the sense to protect her head in case of a predator. I worry about that, but for now, we are just loving her strange ways. When she gets stressed out, she sticks her arms straight out and doesn't wag them like her sibling does. But, she does love her hide....I would worry if she continues to avoid it; but, that's me. Love the pics. Keep them coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.