My Sulcata seems to be liquid inside its neck?

Location (City and/or State)
NC

I recently welcomed a Sulcata into my home for a few days, and I've observed an unexpected change: his neck appears to be larger than usual. I'm reaching out to inquire if anyone might have insights into the cause of this. Any information or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7371.JPG
    IMG_7371.JPG
    885.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7373.JPG
    IMG_7373.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is called edema. It can have many causes.

This baby was not started correctly and it is less than 6 weeks old. I can tell by the scabbed umbilical scar and the egg tooth.

There is not much a vet can do for this. The best thing you can do is house and care for it optimally. Understand that almost all of the care info you find online is all wrong. Vets, YT, FB, pet stores, reptile experts... will all give you the same wrong info all learned from the same wrong sources. Here is the correct care for you:

NC
That is called edema. It can have many causes.

This baby was not started correctly and it is less than 6 weeks old. I can tell by the scabbed umbilical scar and the egg tooth.

There is not much a vet can do for this. The best thing you can do is house and care for it optimally. Understand that almost all of the care info you find online is all wrong. Vets, YT, FB, pet stores, reptile experts... will all give you the same wrong info all learned from the same wrong sources. Here is the correct care for you:
Thank you for your insight. I appreciate your explanation about the condition and the age of the baby tortoise.