My tortoise broke its nails

lololol

Location (City and/or State)
Egypt
My tortoise fell a few minutes ago from the bed and it broke 2 of her nails and it’s bleeding what can I do please??

image.jpgimage.jpg

?image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
If the nails brake at a certain point they will bleed. They will grow back but I would try to keep it from getting infected. I am not a professional so I do not know if you should go to the vet. Just try to stop it from happening again. I know it is fun to bring you tort with you on your bed but be careful. My tort fell from my couch a year ago onto the hardwood and chipped his marginal scute. I felt soo bad and never did it again. Now I just lay on the carpet with a pillow so he can't fall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For the future, everyone should have styptic powder in their first aid kit. It's a substance that causes bleeding to stop.

I've heard one can also use flour, but I've never tried it.

lololol

Egypt
If the nails brake at a certain point they will bleed. They will grow back but I would try to keep it from getting infected. I don't think it warrants a vet visit or concern but I am not a professional. Just try to stop it from happening again. I know it is fun to bring you tort with you on your bed but be careful. My tort fell from my couch a year ago onto the hardwood and chipped his marginal scute. I felt soo bad and never did it again. Now I just lay on the carpet with a pillow so he can't fall.
So i tried to sanitize it and wipe off the blood should I do anything else for now?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Keep your tortoise off the bed and in her enclosure. It's a much healthier place for her, and a whole lot safer.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I would remove any hanging nail unless it is still attached and keep it clean. I do not think there is anything else besides wait and be careful. It will grow back.

lololol

Egypt
I would remove any hanging nail unless it is still attached and keep it clean. I do not think there is anything else besides wait and be careful. It will grow back.
Thank you so much?? I’m just panicking for now so i keep on asking questions lol sorry

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Thank you so much?? I’m just panicking for now so i keep on asking questions lol sorry
Don't worry. These things happen. It will heal with time. I kept thinking I was a bad keeper so I just want to tell you not to feel that way. It was just an accident and your little tort is fine.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
For the future, everyone should have styptic powder in their first aid kit. It's a substance that causes bleeding to stop.

I've heard one can also use flour, but I've never tried it.
You can use flour. I'm a dog groomer and in a pinch that works not as well, but similarly

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Just remember everyone makes mistakes. Just try to learn from it. Good luck!