1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Egyption tortoise Injured

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by omarnael123, May 22, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. omarnael123

omarnael123 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Egypt
    Need Help ASAP...

Yesterday I left my Kleinman tortoise with my brother at home and my brother left it for like ten minutes moving inside the house alone
    , it likes moving alot and everywhere in the house so after 10 min it stuck its foot inside a shose shelf that tilted its nail and eventually it started bleeding however it didnt take long until the bleeding stoped

today the nail had lossen up and fell while it was walking

Note: When I bought it she already had one missing nail in its right foot and beside it was the one that fell and before it fell it was tilted a little bit, It felt something wrong about it

So I want to know if there is a possible way to recover its nails and if there is something I should wory about, I didnt go to any vet clinic or doctor because they are not so professional about tortoise and they dont have the proper medicine for tortoise and are hard to find

here are some pictures of its leg
    20190514_112626.jpg 20190514_112624.jpg 20190514_112613.jpg
    Cathie G likes this.
  2. xMario

xMario Well-Known Member

Germany
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    That definitely doesn't look too bad but tortoises should never be allowed to roam ur house the floor is way too cold and as u experienced it hazards everywhere don't let him roam ur house !
  3. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    I’m just wondering if all the nails could use a trimming?

How is it housed, any rough sufaces to help grind down the nails?

Marhaba to the Forum!
    TammyJ, Moozillion and Cathie G like this.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin

Clovis, CA
    Nails grow back. I wouldn't worry about it. Lesson learned, huh? Never allow your tortoise free roaming on the floor of the house! It could have been much worse. We've had many stories here about tortoises that died because of being on the floor and not seen.
  5. omarnael123

omarnael123 New Member

Egypt
    now I stopped doing that but before that I went to a pet shop and they said don't lock it inside small cages let them move freely inside your house and I trusted him
    Moozillion likes this.
  6. omarnael123

omarnael123 New Member

Egypt
    yes I thank god nothing happened to her I got her a box of cardboard I think she wouldn't be harmed now but I am not sure if it is a good idea to fill it with sand If I did it the house is gona be messy and ants will be everywhere I also want to know what kind of medicine I should use to clean the wound and blood
  7. omarnael123

omarnael123 New Member

Egypt
    now I learn my lessone the floor is ceramic tiles I will never put her on the floor again instead I will put it in my backyard garden
    Zuki, TammyJ and Moozillion like this.
  8. domalle

domalle Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Nails need to be trimmed periodically as part of routine tortoise care and grooming. Otherwise, if allowed to become overlong like yours, they will inevitably snag on something and can be ripped from the nailbed. Even torn from the nailbed itself though, they will gradually regrow. Sometimes the regrown nail will be stunted however.

When they are overgrown, they need to be trimmed back gradually, not all at once, because the blood vein that supports the nail growth extends far out on the nail and trimming back too far will cause bleeding.

Keep the area clean. Once a day a thin layer of antibiotic ointment can be applied to the injured area.

You have a beautiful tortoise.
    Good luck.
  9. omarnael123

omarnael123 New Member

Egypt
    thank you I only bought this tortoise two mounth ago and I am new to the tortoise world and still learning about them so I would like to know more about the grooming If you can refer me to a video that you guarantee it would be helpful
  10. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

Lewisville, Texas
  11. omarnael123

omarnael123 New Member

Egypt
    so how can I buy it /built it from where can I get it, everyday I take my tortoise out in the garden to walk eat and drink for two hours but yasterday I only toke it out for like 15 minutes because the temperature was over 50C° and the weather was bad but I suppose in her nature it spend alot of time in hot weather
  12. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    Lock it inside a large cage.