My tortoise can climb and jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Their indoor enclosure used to be sooo fun, it had two neat custom houses, rocks to walk around and some other "decorative things". But since he's decided to climb everything in there, he now has the saddest, most boring enclosure ever :( no houses, no rocks, just a water bowl and substrate. Otherwise he'd be upside-down every 5 minutes after jumping off of various objects.

Attachments

• image-1171510889.png
    image-1171510889.png
    957.5 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1925407162.png
    image-1925407162.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • image-2436308732.png
    image-2436308732.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 81

Masin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
He has no hides either? You'll have to figure out a way for him to. Spent a course hours of my life re-rigging ours' enclosure today. She climbs and rolls off too so it's a constant game of reinventing.

Is he housed in with the big fella too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you use hiding places with straigh up-and-down sides, he can't climb them. That's a pretty little tortoise.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
He is housed with the big dude at night. I used to keep them separated, but he climbed every barrier that I ever built. Over the past few months, I slowly introduced them to each other, the big one actually seems to like him. (hes only about 6", 3-legged and extremely mellow) During the day when they're active, they are separated in two outdoor enclosures that are appropriate for their different sizes and safety needs.
Also at night, I do put the little house in there (the one that he is on top of in the pic) and they both sleep inside. (He climbs over the bigger one when he's blocking the way in or out). I just have to make sure that I wake up before them, before he wakes up and climbs on top.

Luckily I'm a light sleeper, and the enclosure is right next to my bed (since I'm obsessed) and I wake up whenever they start moving around.

I've tried a straight up and down thing, he stands himself up on it and falls on his back. *sigh*

Luckily, he really only turns himself over every week or so. Originally it was several times a day. So I'm hoping as he gets bigger, he'll quit climbing, and he can have his hide back. ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How about putting them back in (the ones he likes to climb) when you are able to watch? Then take out, when you can't watch. Also be sure they are not by water or under the heat/light. Can he right himself, when he gets on his back?

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
mercurysmom said:
Luckily I'm a light sleeper, and the enclosure is right next to my bed (since I'm obsessed) and I wake up whenever they start moving around.

Don't worry, I'm right there with you!! I'm saving for a tortoise camera so I can spy on her when I'm away :) (in all fairness other members do it too!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.