My tortoise Gus has a very dry shell

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It doesn't look dry to me. Notice how there's a bit of sheen to the dark parts, or the raised parts? Dry shells don't have that sheen. It looks dry because there's dirt or dust down in the creases. Just clean the shell real well with a toothbrush and get all that dirt out of the crevices. It will look much better.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Hi I struggled with dryness to and I went to petsmart and bought turtle vitashell. And it really helped
I liked it on my dry feet, but I don't use it on animals. There are many posts on the subject. Too many ingredients and no real need for it. There is currently an ongoing experiment with coconut oil. Many dry shells aren't really dry, just do not have that wet look that comes from being wet. A truly dry shell calls for a habitat overhaul.

I liked it on my dry feet, but I don't use it on animals. There are many posts on the subject. Too many ingredients and no real need for it. There is currently an ongoing experiment with coconut oil. Many dry shells aren't really dry, just do not have that wet look that comes from being wet. A truly dry shell calls for a habitat overhaul.

Sorry but It's stuff for animals not humans and its from a pet store

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
All you have to do is get a humidifier setup . Get the humidity up around 80/85% . But make sure the substrate stays dry on top . Reds will get shell rot from setting in wet substrate .

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
His shell looks fine to me, but you should check your humidity if you're seeing something we aren't. Also, if you're really interested in a glossy shell, apply a small amount of coconut oil once or twice a week--just avoid getting it on his skin, as it can block UVB absorption.