My tortoise has dark eyes Baby Leopard tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Iā€™m with him outside two hours of the day in the backyard getting sunlight under supervision. Technically, I donā€™t need the UVB light correct? I could replace it with a second basking light because Iā€™m having trouble raising the temperature. Itā€™s currently at 77 with 80 humidity . I feel like I cut the holes in the lid kind of weird. Also, it just was difficult to cut perfect holes.
One as small as yours and hour tops outside making sure there is lots of shade and small area of sun he can go in and out of. At about a year old, he can stay out a little longer.

JDDV97

Houstin tx
One as small as yours and hour tops outside making sure there is lots of shade and small area of sun he can go in and out of. At about a year old, he can stay out a little longer.
Understood Iā€™ll cut it down to an hour, but therefore I wouldnā€™t need a UVB light in the close chamber, correct? I can just have two basking lights? Because Iā€™m having trouble raising the temperature inside the close chamber. Itā€™s currently at 77 with 80 humidity. Pictures below for height reference

Attachments

• IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2110.jpeg
    IMG_2110.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Understood Iā€™ll cut it down to an hour, but therefore I wouldnā€™t need a UVB light in the close chamber, correct? I can just have two basking lights? Because Iā€™m having trouble raising the temperature inside the close chamber. Itā€™s currently at 77 with 80 humidity. Pictures below for height reference
Maybe the enclosure is too big ? Should I have two basking lights or one basking light and one ceramic heat emitter? @wellington
Itā€™s not the enclosure size donā€™t worryšŸ™‚

If youā€™re going to be giving them some natural sunlight during the week to meet their uv needs, then no you wonā€™t have to worry about a uv light.

Just the one basking bulb is fine, but yes try adding a CHE, set the thermostat the ceramic will run on for 80/82, placing the probe in a corner furthest from the bulb

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Have you got a temp gun/ some digital monitoring to check your temperatures? Especially the basking spot, those gauge monitors arenā€™t always the most accurate, itā€™s definitely good to double check

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome to the forum!šŸ’ššŸ¢

Your baby shouldnā€™t be living outside full time like this until they are measuring at least 10 inches, whilst they are so young, they need housing in a closed chamber set up for at least the first 3 years. They can roam a secure outdoor enclosure for no more than a few hours a day.

Store brought top soilā€™s shouldnā€™t be used as thereā€™s no way of knowing exactly what plants have gone into it, could be something toxic.

Hopefully youā€™ll find this thread I made useful to read, it goes over the correct types of equipment(many folks get sold the wrong stuff), maintaining humidity, correct levels etc

This is another care sheet you might find helpful too!

Lastly, hopefully youā€™ll find this one useful in helping you know what bulbs to avoid and stuffšŸ™‚

Hope this helps! Any further questions, please do ask! Theyā€™ll always be someone to helpšŸ˜Š
Please read thru the threads linked in this post. Rad them several times, take notes, and make any changes needed.