My Tortoise just rammed into me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
I never even gave any thought that torts would ram a human. Makes sense though.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
EricIvins said:
Flip them over and leave them there for 10 or 15 minutes.......Some get the point right away, others may take a few times but it usually works for the most part.........

This could be a plausible solution, at first i thought it was funny but like 3 seconds later i came up with a small theory, in the wild when they fight they flip themselves most times and the winner tort who flipped the losing tort is pretty much the dominant one, but after that im stumped, does the losing tort die or if it manages to flip over will it fight back or be scared of the dominant tortoise. But other than that you have a point there Eric

maggie3fan said:
There's a lot of members here that are more experienced than I. And I disagree in tipping one over. Especially a larger tort. His lungs are in the top of his carapace and I believe they could be squished in 15 minutes. I came home one day to find Bob on his back and there was a lot of evidence that he had struggled for a while before he stopped struggling. I had a heck of a time trying to tip him back over. He fought me, he didn't help.
That's just my experience...we all have them...
This is what it looks like when he rams while I was on the ground not paying attention to him

Ouch that must've hurt! Hopefully it healed up good :)

dmmj said:
I don't think flipping them over is the right thing to do.

Yea me neither but Eric might have a point, tortoises are tough, there has to be a way to show them dominance and this seems like a way it would be shown in the wild but im just a newbie

Adua said:
I agree that flipping them over is cruel, too. But there must be a way to show them who the ruler is.

I agree as well but flipping seems to be a sign of dominance with this tortoise, it seems like they ram to flip or maybe they might just ram to break stuff from rival torts? Im clueless there

Anastasia said:
I'm worried about this with Pepper! She is only 9 inches right now, but she rams my hand when I'm feeding her, or if my hand is in her cage for any reason, without delay. But she only does this indoors. Generally when she's outside she doesn't get testy like this. She is going to be a real problem when she's full grown if she doesn't get her attitude in check!

Well what i would suggest is as soon as she/he rams you that you should flip the tort over for a few minutes, do this everytime she/he rams you and if it stops then we will know it works, but its only a suggestion, my tortoises haven't rammed me yet and hopefully they don't but if they ever did then this would be my first reaction, before today i wouldn't have known what to do but I'm glad i came across this post

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Flipping over in the wild does not show dominance, it shows the one is a winner and the other one is dead not less dominant you are applying social norms to an animal that does not live in social groups. I don't see how flipping one over would assert dominance. But hey if you want to flip yours over feel free, your torts your rules.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
dmmj said:
Flipping over in the wild does not show dominance, it shows the one is a winner and the other one is dead not less dominant you are applying social norms to an animal that does not live in social groups. I don't see how flipping one over would assert dominance. But hey if you want to flip yours over feel free, your torts your rules.

They don't always die, though, right? Some of them can flip back over to live another day... ???

This is an interesting topic. Has anyone actually had success with any of these methods to stop ramming? I'm starting to think if a 100 lb. tort tried to ram me, I would just drop the food and run. :p At least we mere humans can outrun them, lol.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have heard about success with this method, which was why I thought it might work. I don't think it is cruel and I am sure that they don't all die from being flipped over in this way. I have heard stories where other sulcatas have helped right a tortoise that was flipped. I can't say from personal experience. It is something I heard that works. I heard it usually doesn't take long for the tortoise to stop being so aggressive. Maybe someone will chime in who knows more about this technique. I would not tell someone to do this, I am just thinking it could be one way to deal with the situation. I am sure there are other ways to deal with it, this is just one way.:)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
lovelyrosepetal said:
I have heard about success with this method, which was why I thought it might work. I don't think it is cruel and I am sure that they don't all die from being flipped over in this way. I have heard stories where other sulcatas have helped right a tortoise that was flipped. I can't say from personal experience. It is something I heard that works. I heard it usually doesn't take long for the tortoise to stop being so aggressive. Maybe someone will chime in who knows more about this technique. I would not tell someone to do this, I am just thinking it could be one way to deal with the situation. I am sure there are other ways to deal with it, this is just one way.:)

Oh, wow. That reminds me, I saw a video on you tube, maybe a year ago, where one tortoise was flipped on his back and second one came and nudged him back over. They were someone's pets, but I can't remember what type of torts.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I saw that video also. I think the male helped the female back up and I thought it might want some action. I also read a post here, about someones tortoise flipping its friend over and then coming back to help it back over. If it is done in captivity I am sure it can happen in the wild. I am not saying you should do it, but I am not saying you should not. I think it is something you need to come to a conclusion on after having more information given. :)

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
dmmj said:

You are probably right, but since they are smart i would think that after trying to ram a few times they would begin to correlate ramming and flipping because it would probably surprise or scare them and maybe stop but what do i know lol

EricIvins

5 Year Member
dmmj said:

It is all about dominance, and you just made my point about how and why it works.......

These animals are very social, and have complex social structures.....I see it every day in both captive and wild Tortoises.......

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
I'm new to tortoises but not new to animals. I am a dog trainer and spend a lot of my time dealing with owners who are learning how to be the leader. Certain things work for dogs that might work for tortoises also. (YES I know the only thing they have in common is 4 legs).

One major thing a person can do with a dog is to eat first and then feed the dog second. I assume most animals understand this idea. I would hang out in a safe zone in full view and eat my lunch, then walk over and fee the tortoise.

Also I dont know about this whole tipping thing, but if you ever watch dogs "Play" they constantly look to be on TOP of the other. I call it "assertive affection". There has to be ways to demonstrate assertive affection with your torts as well.

These are principals that most playful, and curious animals would understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.