Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I had the hose running in Dudley's waterer and as I was waiting for it to fill I sat down on the grass and was pulling some of the wireweed that grows in there. He came towards me from the front, step by slow step and as he was starting to invade my space, I put up a foot in front of me for protection. He rammed my foot and kept pushing until I was on my back. I had to roll away in order to get clear from him. He has never done this before. But by the same token, I've never sat on his grass before either.

Guess I'll leave the wireweed, since he's so protective of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, thank goodness. He was pushing on the sole of my foot. He's very strong and a little bit of my life did flash before my eyes!

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
wow what a strong guy! I hope he doesnt do it again so you wont get hurt

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
oh my. I am so sorry!!!! And after all that hard work you did on the roof of his house. I am so sorry.

Reminder about cell phone... or life alert.... what if you really hurt yourself.... you would be like a tortoise on its back in the sun... :(

WillTort2

5 Year Member
How big is Dudley? You may need to take a sturdy concrete bench next time you want to sit down.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to set up video, I would love to see that. Sorry, I had to LMAO at your expense:D

haidao88

5 Year Member
Luckily Yvonne you weren't hurt... Yeah now we all must be protective when working with our torts lol... After all we are their sole protector... And if we aren't there who will be ( yes yes I know the forum members will and our families lol but you know what I mean).

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Lately, Hrothgar has been patrolling his pen, and will stalk me if I'm not watching (or if I am). He's unlikely to upend me, but I wear sandals in the summer, and he will ram my ankles if I'm not attentive.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Beware attack tortoise!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yagyujubei said:
Lately, Hrothgar has been patrolling his pen, and will stalk me if I'm not watching (or if I am). He's unlikely to upend me, but I wear sandals in the summer, and he will ram my ankles if I'm not attentive.

Three of Hrothgar's brothers like to follow me around the enclosure and bite at my shoes.

Yvonne, I'm glad he didn't hurt you. I guess now you know where you stand with Dudley... and where you DON'T sit with him.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
I'm glad you were not hurt but admittedly I laughted to almost tears when I was reading this story. Boy is Dudley protective of his weeds :)

argus333

5 Year Member
get used to it and be careful bigger he gets more dangerous it will be.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad it was nothing serious. How dare you, the human, try to remove any of HIS weeds!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For those of you who don't know him, Dudley is 110lb sulcata. He has always been very mild mannered and has NEVER shown any aggression towards humans. Now I've got to worry about when I have visitors taking the tour. Never worried about that before.

And about Cory's comment. He was visiting here a few days ago and asked me if I ever thought about getting a Life Alert. I told him that I bought a cheap cell phone service for just that reason (consumer cellular). It only costs $10 a month (if I don't make any calls). However, the phone sits on the vanity in my bathroom, where it has resided for the past year or more because I don't usually have any pockets in the clothes I wear outside.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Please be careful :) Glad you are ok :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yvonne, one event should not destroy his track record....this is the time of year that the temps get bumping and he likely was wondering what the heck you were doing in there and then when you launched your foot into the air at him he may have decided you wanted to rumble....I am glad no injuries....:D

After all, when ever you have a visitor they should be clearly reminded that they are amongst critter "capable" of biting and ramming....anything that can bite will eventually do so when the tide and moon line up just right....lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man thats funny attacked by a tortoise never did I ever think that could happen. Glad you are not hurt Yvonne be careful and don't try to take that big guys weeds.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.