my tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitmadali

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
INDIA (southeast region)
hi

i have a Indian star tortoise, it was doing very well. a couple of days back the climate changed, its very cold about 6 degrees , since then my tort is not eating any thing and has become very slow. [lse help me on this

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rohit:

I hesitate to suggest this in case you're already doing it, but its basic, so I'll say it...when your house or the outside habitat cools off, you have to provide heat for the tortoise. It can be as simple as a regular light bulb that puts off heat. If the tortoise is in the house all the time, then you need a UVB bulb. The best ones are Mercury Vapor Bulbs. I don't think you told us on your introduction thread where you are? If you can't find the MVB in any stores, then you can buy them online. The reason they need a UVB bulb if they're always in the house is because tortoises need the UVB rays that come from the sun in order for their calcium to make their bones and shells strong. The MVB provides UVB, as does the sun.

rohitmadali

5 Year Member
INDIA (southeast region)
i have already done as u suggested. i am from India(south west). my torts are not in the house all the time but only when no one is around and they bask themselves in natural sun light....

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
rohitmadali said:
i have already done as u suggested. i am from India(south west). my torts are not in the house all the time but only when no one is around and they bask themselves in natural sun light....

Do your torts wander free in the house? Are they getting direct sunlight or sunlight coming from a window?

Status
Not open for further replies.