My tortoise's home and a quich introduction.

Fish_cats&_torts

Location (City and/or State)
Greece
Hi. I'm 11 years old, and a new tortoise owner. I have 2 cats, 2 fish tanks, and I'm currently breeding German Blue Rams. I live in Greece. I got a baby hermann's tortoise 3 days ago. I had it in my balcony until I made it's outdoor enclosure, which is now ready. It has double shades, a mini greenhouse, water, plants, rocks, dried leaves, and soil as substrate. No UV, but direct sunlight. Temps don't fall bellow 10 degrees celsius. The problem is that when I got the tortoise, I didn't know I shouldn't handle it, and I did all the time. It is now stressed and not eating or drinking. Not as active as it should, but it still loves exploring. What do I do for that? Give it some time?

I still haven't bought Calcium and D3, but I'll very soon. Is this OK? What about the thermometer? Is it accurate?
https://www.petsupermarket.gr/exo-terra-calcium-vitamin-d3-sup-90gr?sort=p.price&order=ASC
https://www.petsupermarket.gr/thermometro-erpeton-terarioym?sort=p.price&order=ASC
Thanks in advance!

Fish_cats&_torts

Greece
I forgot to mention I'm bathing the tortoise dai;ly for 15 mins.

Attachments

• IMG_20220414_085710.jpg
    IMG_20220414_085710.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220414_085710.jpg
    IMG_20220414_085710.jpg
  • 1649919896663.jpeg
    1649919896663.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220414_090428.jpg
    IMG_20220414_090428.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220414_090438_1.jpg
    IMG_20220414_090438_1.jpg

Fish_cats&_torts

Greece
Some more photos...

Attachments

• IMG_20220414_085703.jpg
    IMG_20220414_085703.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220414_085638.jpg
    IMG_20220414_085638.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220414_085631.jpg
    IMG_20220414_085631.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220414_085619.jpg
    IMG_20220414_085619.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have quite a few younger members here and we're glad to have you join our Forum family. Here's a link to our Hermanns care sheet:

I don't think you did a bad thing by handling the baby. He's probably just stressed because he's realized he's not in his original home territory anymore. He'll settle down once he realizes his new home is safe and food is provided.

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Hi. I'm 11 years old, and a new tortoise owner. I have 2 cats, 2 fish tanks, and I'm currently breeding German Blue Rams. I live in Greece. I got a baby hermann's tortoise 3 days ago. I had it in my balcony until I made it's outdoor enclosure, which is now ready. It has double shades, a mini greenhouse, water, plants, rocks, dried leaves, and soil as substrate. No UV, but direct sunlight. Temps don't fall bellow 10 degrees celsius. The problem is that when I got the tortoise, I didn't know I shouldn't handle it, and I did all the time. It is now stressed and not eating or drinking. Not as active as it should, but it still loves exploring. What do I do for that? Give it some time?

I still haven't bought Calcium and D3, but I'll very soon. Is this OK? What about the thermometer? Is it accurate?
https://www.petsupermarket.gr/exo-terra-calcium-vitamin-d3-sup-90gr?sort=p.price&order=ASC
https://www.petsupermarket.gr/thermometro-erpeton-terarioym?sort=p.price&order=ASC
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to TFO!

This is a great place to learn about your new tortoise... and share more pictures over time (we hope). ;)

Jamie

Fish_cats&_torts

Greece
Thanks for the welcome!!! Last question for now- do you think my tort will be fine with no aditional heating/lighting?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks in advance!
Babies can be very temperature and environmentally sensitive. They should not be outside full time. They need a proper indoor enclosure with the correct heating and lighting until they get a little bit older. 10C is much too cold for a baby. Babies also need to be soaked daly. And what kind of soil? Bought-in-a-bag soil from a store is generally not safe for a tortoise. Most of it has terrible additives, and even with no additives, it is made from composted yard waste and could be something toxic like oleander or grass clippings with yard chemicals on it.

Here is the current and correct care info. Read this and feel free to ask lots of questions:

Fish_cats&_torts

Greece
Thanks. I'll read the article later, I'm doing maths right now.... but if 10 c is too cold for a baby, how do baby hermanns survive here in the 'wild'? In Greece we have many many free hermanns in parks, yards, wherever you look at!

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
If the ambient temperatures outside are within the guidelines and you have the appropriate burrows/hides, outside is always better because of the free UVB from the sun. If the temps aren’t appropriate, then an enclosure inside will be easier to get the temps and humidity under control.

Fish_cats&_torts

Greece
Thank you so much! He's now normaly eating and drinking. He started eating when we gave him some strawberry, and now he will eat everything!! Whe the temps are lower than 10 degrees Celsius, which is something that has years to happen, and when it's raining, I'll be keeping him inside, and all the other days he'll be outside.