my torts being picky

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
So my tort has been a picky eater, ive had him almost a week now and he has eaten a few times, but he doesnt eat his greens, just tomatoes, bananas, and apples and i know he cant eat just those things, we'll he finally just start eating his greens once he gets hungry enough? help pleaase, he is starting to warm up to me too, if you guys think the move is still a major factor

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
If you don't offer him the apples, bananas and tomatoes and allow him to get hungry enough he will probably eat his greens.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
i have him on a schedule that mon-wed is greens, thurs-fruit, friday- low fat cat food until i get mazuri, i just feel bad for starving him but i'll give it a shot

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you put a couple of candy bars on your 4 year old daughter's plate on Thursday, and it becomes a routine for her, she's going to start to hold out and not eat until Thursday because she knows that's when she gets the good stuff.

My suggestion is to take your tortoise temporarily off the schedule and only feed greens for a while until the tortoise is eating them every day. Then you can return to the schedule using the type of veggies with seeds, which are actually fruits, like zuchinni, bell pepper, cucumber, etc instead of tomatoes, bananas and apples.

You really haven't had your tortoise long enough to worry about starving him. They can go for a very long time without eating. And if he misses a few days, its really not a big deal.

LindaF

5 Year Member
The torts get very spoiled just like children. Yesterday was a fruit day for my little guy. He rushed right out of hide to eat. Today was spring mix day. He was slow coming out of his hide, and then started to dig and fling the greens everywhere. Like he was having a temper tantrum. When he realized that was all he was getting he went around and ate his salad. Your tort will come around. You might just have to show him some tough love! Like the above suggestion try zucchini, bell pepper and cucumber. My guy loves them.

jsphr90

5 Year Member
well got some spring mix to give him and he's actually eating! awesome! idk what much is different from the other stuff but hes eating lol

Status
Not open for further replies.