113.2 KB · Views: 51

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tasena: You probably just had the two tortoise together for the photo op, but I wanted to be sure you understand that sulcatas and burmese tortoises should NOT be housed together. Besides the fact of the different pathogens in each tortoise, the climate requirements are totally different. Just a word of caution: I sold two burmese babies to a club member about 10 years ago. She took them home and set them up with very little shade in a large grassy area. Our summer time temps get up to 100 and sometimes beyond almost every day. Both of her little babies died within the week. They require a "jungle" type set up. They come from the rain forest and need lots of water, humidity and plants to roam around in. Both of your babies are beatuful! Thanks for the pictures.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I should have said that her babies died of over heating...too much sun and not enough shade and plants.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Hi, Tereasa. What Yvonne says is very true. Manouria emys require shady, damp conditions with lower temps than most torts. My yearling MEPs are most active at between 75 and 80 degrees in the shade and avoid the direct sun like the plague.

tasena

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I will take all the free advice I can get :D Yes they were just together for the pic my grandmother has been waiting for pics of the new additions and I wanted her to get the size difference. They have there own seperate "homes" inside and my MEE has a misting system that keeps him between 60 and 80% humidity, temp range is 75 to 85 sometimes 70 at night (this is the range I read was right). He did like the sun for a bit but liked the shade better. I cant yet leave them outside unsupervised the Burm is small enough the hawks would get him and I dont have a proper inclosure for the sully (work in progress). Any other stuff I need to know, just keep it coming cause I want the best for them:D

Status
Not open for further replies.