My Tort's Very Picky With Food-Please Help.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Since I've had my Greek tort it's been ONLY eating Roman lettuce, and I CANNOT force it to eat something it doesn't want it to eat/does not like. However, recently it's fallen in love with....tomatoes and now won't eat Roman lettuce any more! I was told by a member in the forum that tomatoes should only be given to a tort as a treat: like giving a chid some (Swiss) chocolate. I do appreciate help and answers, but what if the tort refuses to eat anything except tomatoes?

Please, please do not tell me that a tort can go on for a long time without food and that once it gets hungry it'll eat anything. My tort does not! Suppose this is true, I do not believe that it is a solution. Leaving it to "starve" does not solve the issue.

Thanks in advance your help.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Maybe you could try getting the juice of the tomato on the greens to lure it back into eating greens. I know it's not the greatest food either, but you could try some radicchio. It's got that nice bright purple color which may attract him if he's into the tomatoes. The other thing might be herbs? Parsley or cilantro have pretty strong flavours...maybe they might appeal. All of this just to get him back into eating what's good for him of course.

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking a solid diet of only tomato for a prolonged period is going to do more harm than a little tough love in getting him back to a more healthy diet. Hopefully it's just a phase!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Maybe you could try getting the juice of the tomato on the greens to lure it back into eating greens. I know it's not the greatest food either, but you could try some radicchio. It's got that nice bright purple color which may attract him if he's into the tomatoes. The other thing might be herbs? Parsley or cilantro have pretty strong flavours...maybe they might appeal. All of this just to get him back into eating what's good for him of course.

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking a solid diet of only tomato for a prolonged period is going to do more harm than a little tough love in getting him back to a more healthy diet. Hopefully it's just a phase!
Thanks very much your help.

I've tried parsley but no way would my tort eat.When I said it is :(picky I meant it and I was not exaggerating.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've had such good results with the "tough love" route that I'm bummed to read you won't consider it.

The benefits a tortoise will receive from eating properly FAR out weigh the fasting phase.

Good luck finding the answer you like and one that will work.
If you change your mind and decide you want tips of how to get him eating right buy simply not offering junk... many of us will happily offer you support.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I've had such good results with the "tough love" route that I'm bummed to read you won't consider it.

The benefits a tortoise will receive from eating properly FAR out weigh the fasting phase.

Good luck finding the answer you like and one that will work.
If you change your mind and decide you want tips of how to get him eating right buy simply not offering junk... many of us will happily offer you support.
There is nood need to give advice in such an impolite way!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There is nood need to give advice in such an impolite way!
I don't think she was being impolite. I share some of your frustration. I have had one heck of a time getting my box turtle to eat properly. And I know how it feels to watch them turn away from their food, it is hard emotionally and it hurts. Greek tortoises should be a little easier however then a box turtle. The idea of squirting the tomato juice on the greens is a good one, also try cucumber juice. Make up a little chopped salad with tomatoes, Romain, radicchio, and then some of the better stuff like endive, escarole, dandelion greens, mustard greens, turnup greens etc. chop it all up small and scored it with the tomato or cucumber. and then put it in the enclosure and walk away. I do not think your tortoise will eat herbs, I like to use the herb plants in the enclosure because they don't eat them but like to hide under them. Feed your tortoise the same thing for at least three or four days in a row. It usually takes my tortoise a couple days before she will try new food. for an animal that lives 50+ years not eating for a week will not kill it. I know you don't want to hear it and it sounds very harsh but it is true. you have to think of the diet more than one day at a time, they have to have a well-rounded diet overall. Feeding more than one thing at a time may also help, hence the salad idea. It may take a week or a month or even longer before your tortoise is regularly eating "the good stuff" but it will happen. you are like me a little, your animals train you quickly and well :) :) I do not mean that as an insult.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You don't want the advice but toufg love or trickery are really the only 2 ways of handling a tortoise who has trained a human real well. :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Do your research on diet. There are so many choices, so much variety to offer. It is your job to offer good choices. You'll waste some money and food offering things your tortoise doesn't like, but that's the biz. They also like a rotation of foods, so the thing they eagerly accept for a week becomes the thing they ignore for a month. But then they eat it again. Rejection of food is seldom permanent.

Much has been written about romaine as tortoise crack. It's good in moderation, but tortoises aren't wired for that. A lot has been written about how to chop up a mixture of foods with the favored food, sneaking in the good food into the preferred food, and over time using less and less of the obsession food.

The tomato juice idea is a good one. Try red flowers, too. Finding more variety becomes easier in spring and summer. Your tortoise can't eat tomatoes if you stop offering them. The longer you offer them, the worse the situation will become, affecting his health permanently.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I don't think she was being impolite. I share some of your frustration. I have had one heck of a time getting my box turtle to eat properly. And I know how it feels to watch them turn away from their food, it is hard emotionally and it hurts. Greek tortoises should be a little easier however then a box turtle. The idea of squirting the tomato juice on the greens is a good one, also try cucumber juice. Make up a little chopped salad with tomatoes, Romain, radicchio, and then some of the better stuff like endive, escarole, dandelion greens, mustard greens, turnup greens etc. chop it all up small and scored it with the tomato or cucumber. and then put it in the enclosure and walk away. I do not think your tortoise will eat herbs, I like to use the herb plants in the enclosure because they don't eat them but like to hide under them. Feed your tortoise the same thing for at least three or four days in a row. It usually takes my tortoise a couple days before she will try new food. for an animal that lives 50+ years not eating for a week will not kill it. I know you don't want to hear it and it sounds very harsh but it is true. you have to think of the diet more than one day at a time, they have to have a well-rounded diet overall. Feeding more than one thing at a time may also help, hence the salad idea. It may take a week or a month or even longer before your tortoise is regularly eating "the good stuff" but it will happen. you are like me a little, your animals train you quickly and well :) :) I do not mean that as an insult.
Thank you very much for your help which I very much appreciate.

Please re-read the alert and notice was was said. That alert coul
Do your research on diet. There are so many choices, so much variety to offer. It is your job to offer good choices. You'll waste some money and food offering things your tortoise doesn't like, but that's the biz. They also like a rotation of foods, so the thing they eagerly accept for a week becomes the thing they ignore for a month. But then they eat it again. Rejection of food is seldom permanent.

Much has been written about romaine as tortoise crack. It's good in moderation, but tortoises aren't wired for that. A lot has been written about how to chop up a mixture of foods with the favored food, sneaking in the good food into the preferred food, and over time using less and less of the obsession food.

The tomato juice idea is a good one. Try red flowers, too. Finding more variety becomes easier in spring and summer. Your tortoise can't eat tomatoes if you stop offering them. The longer you offer them, the worse the situation will become, affecting his health permanently.

Thanks a lot your help.

How long could a tort go on without food? I'd like an answer so as to be able to stop feeding my tort tomatoes without worrying.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
How long they can go without food is variable. So is how long they can subsist on tomatoes. Switching to other food is a win and will have long term benefits. Not switching may seem like a short term win, but will have long term problems or lead to death. Figure out how to switch, not if or when.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How long they can go without food is variable. So is how long they can subsist on tomatoes. Switching to other food is a win and will have long term benefits. Not switching may seem like a short term win, but will have long term problems or lead to death. Figure out how to switch, not if or when.
Thank you, though your alert did not answer my question.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Because he can't, as he said there are too many variables to take into account. He gave you the best advice he possibly could under the circumstances. Start working to switch his diet as soon as possible.
I have begun to change my tort's diet but it's going to take a lot of time till I get anywhere.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
When one of my Russians gets a little picky in his eating habits, I start the food offering with a dandelion bloom on top of a leaf of whatever is being fed that day. I find that once the tort gets started eating that the other foods become more acceptable.

Also, as suggested above try the radicchio. You can also try Belgian endive, escarole, endive, dandelion leaves, kale, and turnip greens as some winter offerings. You can also order in some cactus pads, very healthy choice for your tort.

The tough love feeding of good foods in good variety will be best for your tort in the long run.

I would also weigh the tort regularly to keep track of progress.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
When one of my Russians gets a little picky in his eating habits, I start the food offering with a dandelion bloom on top of a leaf of whatever is being fed that day. I find that once the tort gets started eating that the other foods become more acceptable.

Also, as suggested above try the radicchio. You can also try Belgian endive, escarole, endive, dandelion leaves, kale, and turnip greens as some winter offerings. You can also order in some cactus pads, very healthy choice for your tort.

The tough love feeding of good foods in good variety will be best for your tort in the long run.

I would also weigh the tort regularly to keep track of progress.
Thanks very much you alert which was nice and clear.

Randi

Canada
Google "Tortoise Table Plant Database", and look through the categories. It will take you through various plants, safe to feed and toxic (don't feed). "See More" will give you information about that plant, the positives and negatives as well as a recommended frequency. Variety is the key.

There are no benefits from the tomatoes. Your tortoise simply likes the way it tastes. The website I've listed above will help you expand your food list. Discontinue any further use of the tomatoes and provide a well balanced diet. It may sound cruel to us as humans to go hungry or hear "starving out" because we have the whole world at our disposal and can do what we want.. this process generally doesn't go on long for the animal and the animal will give in to eating what is offered. If it doesn't, continue to offer the proper diet and it will eventually take. Your tortoise will be fine if it chooses not to eat what is offered right away. Patience will win this battle.

Here's some information on tomatoes:
Screenshot_2015-02-17-21-32-49.png

And please understand that through a computer, it is easy to misinterpret the tone used through text. Everyone here is giving constructive criticism, with the intention of benefiting your tortoise. Good luck to you and yours. :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Google "Tortoise Table Plant Database", and look through the categories. It will take you through various plants, safe to feed and toxic (don't feed). "See More" will give you information about that plant, the positives and negatives as well as a recommended frequency. Variety is the key.

There are no benefits from the tomatoes. Your tortoise simply likes the way it tastes. The website I've listed above will help you expand your food list. Discontinue any further use of the tomatoes and provide a well balanced diet. It may sound cruel to us as humans to go hungry or hear "starving out" because we have the whole world at our disposal and can do what we want.. this process generally doesn't go on long for the animal and the animal will give in to eating what is offered. If it doesn't, continue to offer the proper diet and it will eventually take. Your tortoise will be fine if it chooses not to eat what is offered right away. Patience will win this battle.

Here's some information on tomatoes:
View attachment 118884

And please understand that through a computer, it is easy to misinterpret the tone used through text. Everyone here is giving constructive criticism, with the intention of benefiting your tortoise. Good luck to you and yours. :)
Thanks very much indeed your alert which was of great help.

I guess I'm going to have to try "your" way even though it's going to take time as well as patience. (I am an extremely patient person: otherwise I would not have chosen a :<3:cute :tort: tort when I decided to get a pet).

At the same time, please allow me to point out that some members reply to alerts in a very hurtful manner and with no diplomacy whatsoever. This only puts you down, demoralizes you and is of :(NO HELP! They seem to think that they are the "brains" and that they are talking to someone stupid, ignorant...you name it. Here, I can't say illiterate as they don't read and write. Do you, Randi believe that this is the way to help someone? I don't think so.

Randi

Canada
Thanks very much indeed your alert which was of great help.

I guess I'm going to have to try "your" way even though it's going to take time as well as patience. (I am an extremely patient person: otherwise I would not have chosen a :<3:cute :tort: tort when I decided to get a pet).

At the same time, please allow me to point out that some members reply to alerts in a very hurtful manner and with no diplomacy whatsoever. This only puts you down, demoralizes you and is of :(NO HELP! They seem to think that they are the "brains" and that they are talking to someone stupid, ignorant...you name it. Here, I can't say illiterate as they don't read and write. Do you, Randi believe that this is the way to help someone? I don't think so.

In the end, it will be time well spent. You are improving his quality of life (and by this I don't mean he doesn't have a good existence, it's enhancing the life he's already got), giving your tort more time with you. As I said, all of this is to benefit your baby.

I don't want to get involved in politics, etc.. but I will say this. It is hard to have things come across the way they were meant on the internet. I personally don't feel I saw anything where anyone was talking down to you. I understand that it is very easy to feel defensive as this thread is about you and yours. I think because it's about you (you're emotionally attached to the situation because it's your baby), it is easy to take it as an attack on your husbandry. I think if this conversation took place and someone else was you, you'd feel different about it. I'm sorry that you feel hurt in a place of help.

These people on this forum are really good at what they do, and are always willing to help. These people also speak for those who cannot (the tortoise), and they care a whole lot about them. They have taken time out of their day to give advice. I am very happy I found this site. The knowledge here is mind blowing. Hopefully, we can put emotions aside and get down to helping!

I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way but that's not what this was for. We want the best for you and yours.