My turtle used to be a gd swimmer

As you guys know,My turtle had shedding.i found maggots in her(i thought it was a boy,now i came to know it's a girl) shell.Thus her shell was rotten.Then i kept her away from water for so many days and used h2O2 solution for her shell to get better.Her shell is recovered.But the problem is,she used to be a gd swimmer. She loves to dive.But she hardly dives with so much effort.Most of the time she float.It seems to me that she is facing difficulty to dive

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
answer a question for me please, when she swims does she swim lopsided?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When one keeps a water turtle out of the water for days at a time, he/she loses the ability to sink. I don't know the science behind it, but I've seen it with my rescues a lot. You just have to keep her in the water. She will eventually absorb water back into her system and be able to sink and swim again. Be patient.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
When an aquatic turtle exhibits the signs of buoyancy - not being able to submerge, it is almost always an indication of a respiratory / gastrointestinal infection. You will need a vet visit and antibiotics to clear that up. Rarely can they recover without it. In the meantime, be sure to bump up water temps to 80F. Do not let the turtle get cool.