My wee dude might have a broken legšŸ˜­

CherMcc.87

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hello!

I've taken on a russian tortoise aged 15, after bathing him i tripped and he fell out and hurt his shell and back right leg. I cannot believe it happened! He has been to vets for check over and got pain medication. That was 2 weeks ago and he is still very reluctant to use his back leg, can move it but won't stretch it out or put weight on it. His xray is on Tuesday. Does anyone know what the costs are for such injury? I know the xray may be 100. How does the vet help a broken leg? If it is that.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I'm sorry that happened and I don't have good news about the expense. Is he eating and being normal otherwise? Some animal injuries heal on their own. If he seems to be in poor shape, spend the money.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have no idea what the cost would be. Where I live it's a hundred bucks just for an office visit for a tortoise.
I do know tortoises heal slowly, just like they do everything else slow.
Spend the money for the X-ray and hope nothing is broken.

CherMcc.87

Scotland
I'm sorry that happened and I don't have good news about the expense. Is he eating and being normal otherwise? Some animal injuries heal on their own. If he seems to be in poor shape, spend the money.
He was poorly for a week but after vets and having pain medication he has been very like his old self, full of energy and very inquisitive. Trying to keep him from walking about too much, so feeding him in his bed and making sure he's hydrated also. What do they do for a broken leg? I'm just curious, money for him is not an issue, I love the wee guy!

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I don't know what they do. Is this a tortoise vet? I hope. I like that he's acting himself. That's good news.