Mycoplasma

AAS2018

Location (City and/or State)
England
My Russian tortoise has been diagnosed with Mycoplasma. We’re working with the vet, but would someone be able to give me more information about what this means?

For background, a few months ago we noticed a red line on his shell so took him to the vet. After blood tests and a round of antibiotics she took a swap sample and this came back positive for Mycoplasma. We’re exploring the best options for treatment.

I’m researching as much as I can but articles can be confusing and sometimes conflicting.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Nasal Discharge in Tortoises Thomas H. Boyer, DVM, DABVP (Reptile & Amphibian Practice) Pet Hospital of Penasquitos, San Diego, CA, USA

Reptilian Mycoplasmal Infections
Kristin H. Berry, PhD USGS, BRD, Western Ecological Research Center Box Springs Field Station 6221 Box Springs Blvd. Riverside, CA 92507, USA
Dan R. Brown, PhD College of Veterinary Medicine University of Florida Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Mary Brown, MS, PhD Professor, Department of Pathobiology College of Veterinary Medicine University of Florida Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Elliott Jacobson MS, DVM, PhD, DACZM Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine University of Florida Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Jim Jarchow, DVM Arizona-Sonora Museum Sonora Animal Hospital 410 W. Simmons Road Tucson, AZ 85705, USA
Jay Johnson, DVM University Animal Hospital 2500 S. Hardy Dr. Tempe, AZ 85282, USA
Lauren Richey, DVM, PhD Assistant Professor Athens Diagnostic Laboratory University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine Athens, GA 30602, USA
Lori Wendland, DVM College of Veterinary Medicine University of Florida Gainesville, FL 32610, USA Moderator: Robert Nathan, DVM 8 Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
My Russian tortoise has been diagnosed with Mycoplasma. We’re working with the vet, but would someone be able to give me more information about what this means?

For background, a few months ago we noticed a red line on his shell so took him to the vet. After blood tests and a round of antibiotics she took a swap sample and this came back positive for Mycoplasma. We’re exploring the best options for treatment.

I’m researching as much as I can but articles can be confusing and sometimes conflicting.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Hello!
Are there any other symptoms of Mycoplasma present? Like discharge from nose, troubled breathing, loss of appetite or lowered activity?

Thin red line on the shell sometimes can be a warning sign for a systemic infection but I haven't seen it as a mycoplasma symptom.

Tests like cloacal swabs for mycoplasma aren't 100% reliable giving both false positive and false negative results. The most reliable diagnostic methods (Q-PCR?) are used in the University of Florida and aren't available worldwide. Also some tortoises are asymptomatic carriers and presence of mycoplasma in samples doesn't need treatment.

AAS2018

England
Hello!
Are there any other symptoms of Mycoplasma present? Like discharge from nose, troubled breathing, loss of appetite or lowered activity?

Thin red line on the shell sometimes can be a warning sign for a systemic infection but I haven't seen it as a mycoplasma symptom.

Tests like cloacal swabs for mycoplasma aren't 100% reliable giving both false positive and false negative results. The most reliable diagnostic methods (Q-PCR?) are used in the University of Florida and aren't available worldwide. Also some tortoises are asymptomatic carriers and presence of mycoplasma in samples doesn't need treatment.
I’ve never noticed discharge from his nose but he used to sneeze A LOT! I took him to the vet about it a few years ago and he said nothing to worry about, and the vet this time wasn’t concerned.

He isn’t eating and the vet has recommended a feeding tube for a few weeks to help build his strength. He’s always been a fussy eater but I am concerned right now as he does seem very lethargic.

We live in the UK so the temperature isn’t great but he always has a heat lamp. Up until last year he was in a vivarium and was fine. But since he’s grown we moved him to a large table. This caused issues with the temperate and over the Christmas break we had a few days where it just wasn’t hot enough - this is when we started to notice the red line on his shell! We have a much higher wattage bulb now and have one over night (although he doesn’t go anywhere near it!).

His set up is perfect again now but I just worry the infection has taken root and not sure where to go from here.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
What substrate do you use and what are nighttime low temperatures where he sleeps? What is the temperature in the basking zone?

Low temperatures can cause lack of appetite and lethargy and dry dusty substrate can provoke sneezing.

If we confirm that environment is fine, you have to stick with your vet's treatment plan. Mycoplasma is not totally curable but can be taken under control.

Dustin

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida

@Alex and the Redfoot this quote is applicable to some tortoise disease testing and results but probably not Mycoplasma. Mycoplasma can be detected via blood/serum via ELISA looking for antibodies. Detection of antibodies can show if an animal was previously exposed to Mycoplasma and is not currently exhibiting symptoms (its still infected). Mycoplasma can be cultured but it takes weeks and is not easy. It can also be detected via PCR or a combination of culturing and PCR.
Sample methods typically don't involve cloacal swabs. Blood or plasma is required for ELISA / serology. PCR needs a nasal flush or a choanal swab.

UF is a great lab for reptile disease but there are several labs in the US that can reliably test for Mycoplasma. I don't know about the UK.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
@dd33 Thank you! I've messed up some papers where Mycoplasma testudinis was isolated from cloacal swab with actual lab procedures. Have to redo my homework :)

Maybe you can share some papers on treating mycoplasma infections? Besides those posted by mark1 above?

Dustin

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
@dd33 Thank you! I've messed up some papers where Mycoplasma testudinis was isolated from cloacal swab with actual lab procedures. Have to redo my homework :)

Maybe you can share some papers on treating mycoplasma infections? Besides those posted by mark1 above?
Perhaps it can be found via cloacal swab, its just not the preferred sampling method.

I don't have anything more to add than the papers @mark1 shared. I particularly like the Boyer paper.