N. Texas/OK/Louisiana Hibernation

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
Hibernation stresses me out so much and it is getting to be that time again. I'm hoping some members from North Texas, Oklahoma, and/or Louisiana can share some advice. I used to hibernate my brood outside, but I agonized over it each year and eventually began doing it inside. I haven't liked that lately either, though, and am considering trying it outside again since the winters are milder than they used to be.

My idea is in their pen to build a 3 foot diameter wall with gardening stones in a circle a couple of feet high. I'd loosen the dirt at ground level and then add 6-12 inches of topsoil/moss, then about that height of leaves. With this configuration, if it gets below freezing significantly I should be able to find them fairly easily. That will also allow me to check them periodically.

Any thoughts on this plan? What do others in this area do? I just fear that I'm going to have to go get them every time it gets down to thirty two. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
Hi ,I just saw this and I'm nervous about mine being outside for the first time. I am on the florida panhandle and the weather is very unpredictable. I have thought if it got below freezing I would go out and find them and bring inside as well. Can we do that?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Yes, you certainly can. I have been keeping mine in rubber tubs in the garage for the last few years. Once winter sets in, that keeps the temps around 40-50. That's okay, but it would be better to keep them at the lower ranges. The problem are those short term freezes that freak me out. If the temps drop really low, I lug the tubs in the house. I'm pretty certain one day at 30 degrees won't kill them when they are insulated with dirt and leaves, but I can't help but worry like crazy.