Nail length

Status
Not open for further replies.

shards

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to tortoise handling. I only got Kameko, my RT, a few days ago and thought her nails look quite long. She had been kept in an aquarium at PETCO for the past 1.5 years. Apparently passed up for other tortoises because of some imperfections in her scutes. I am wondering if anyone has some general guidance for what is an appropriate length and, should they be long, how to help her.

Thanks so much

Shawn

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
That long at a Petco? Oh wow, that is crazy! Try a piece of slate or a rough surface for it to walk on and it should wear them down. If they are really long then you could try cutting them. Just don't go past the quick.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am suprised a female stayed that long at petco, normally they are snatched up and it is the males who linger there. A pic of her nails would help to determine if they need to be cut, does it impede her walking?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I agree with what's been said. In Emrys' case it was pretty obvious when he needed a nail cut - it was curling at an awkward angle and far enough under his foot for it to be digging into him as he walked. It was like that when I got him, but though I put slate down hoping it would wear down it was clear it wasn't going to. I gave that one nail a cut, and now all wear down on their own on the slate. I think it's pretty visible when a nail's going to be trouble and not wear down, but once they're flat against the floor a slate tile will do a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.