Nails /claws?

alex_ornelas

Location (City and/or State)
newark ca
I was wondering if you are supposed to file their nails/claws down sometimes Oliver when he is eating his lettuce gets stuck to them and it looks like he has shoes xD

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I tried gently filing one of my hatchlings nails yesterday since they seemed really sharp and she pooped on me. She wasn't a fan. Lol

I think it's necessary if they are overgrown. I've seen others makin mention of keeping abrasive tiles or rocks for feeding in their enclosure to keep the beak and nails naturally filed.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto. If the rocks don't work, then yes,they would have to be filed. If you can't do it and reptile vet can.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
alex_ornelas said:
Will any rock from outside work ?

They need to be abrasive. I used 12"x12" pavers from Home Depot for a feeding spot and that seems to keep the beak trimmed. My outside enclosure has plenty of concrete areas for my sulcata to walk on. That seems to keep the toe nails worn down.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There must be an evolutionary rule that determines baby tortoises need long claws, because almost all baby tortoises have them. Once they get bigger and start doing a lot of walking, the nails usually wear down to a more manageable length. I don't ever cut baby tortoise toenails.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have baby fingernail files so I tried using that on freckles. I don't think it did anything, probably not quite abbreviate enough. I think I gave her a new sensory experience though and it displeased her. And she pooped in my hand. HAHAHAHAHA. She had already pooped a ton in her soak water so I wasn't expecting it either lol.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I take mine outside to the side-walk it the concrete in the back when the weather is good. Penny loves to walk in that [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]
I'm thinking to make a tiny harness to walk on a leash [WINKING FACE][TURTLE]

alex_ornelas

newark ca
That would be kinda cute. Usually i take him out but its been raining and cold so i cant

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Are u from up north or the east coast?
Here in San Diego started a 4 day rain and it's like hibernation for me [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]