Russian Tortoise Nails/Claws long

Ruszian Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hi, I just joined. I have had tortoise for a while. She is a Russian Tortoise, female, three and a half years old. I was wondering if she has too long claws? I've read Russians are supposed to have long claws, but the back claws are curling. I have slate that she eats on, but it was gone for a few months. If I am to cut her nails, (i have dog nail clippers), what do I do when/if she gets cut (if i cut into the quick)? I don't know. Wondering (not as much) if her beak needs work. Also, is this a good diet: Kale, dandelion (flowers not too often), field madder, creeping jenny, small amounts of clover, some flukers pellets (don't like them quite as much as they get tracked around, are impossible to clean up, and mold), a bit of cilantro and the occasional romaine lettuce and cabbage leaves? Pictures coming soon.

Ruszian Tortoise

TX
This, too. Look at those back nails! I'll try to get better pictures later, showing off long (kind of turned I think, not curled but turned) nails.

Attachments

• picture (1).png
    picture (1).png
    811.4 KB · Views: 20

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry about it. Russians are one species that has fairly long claws.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I don't think by the photos they look to long, maybe there longer than they appear, however, dog use normal dog clippers,(large)unless she fairly large, , use either small clippers for very small dogs, or the animal clippers, that look like baby sissor style, I use a Dremel, lol ..but I don't recommend this, for everyone, I use it to trim dogs nails, as I am a groomer, but I use a much smaller bit, and on low, and I very comfortable using it, and my vet, showed me how to do it, years ago, that's what they did for her beak and nails, when I didn't know how to do myself,