Question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Kay so if u have dogs u need to get their nails cut regularly....does tht apply to torts as well??? My baby sulcatas nails are long n sharp and when he crawls on me it hurts do they need their nails cut too or is it normal for them to have long claws???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sami:

Tortoises usually wear down their claws when walking on the hard ground outside. Indoor tortoises might need to have the occasional manicure/pedicure.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
Okay so how do I do that??? A nail file??? Is it safe for the tort??? Or does that mean I bring him out and put him on the sidewalk so he can do it himself??? Lol idk but his nails are long

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can use a dog clipper or a human toe nail clipper, but if you're uncomfortable doing it yourself, you can ask the vet to do it.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Ive always read that as long as you provide a proper/optimal micro-environment, you shouldnt have to do nail trims. I had my sulcatas for quite awhile, and never trimmed them

Think of it like a dog, if they are active and walk/run around alot outside, their nails stay filed pretty well naturall. I have never trimmed any of my dogs nails and Ive owned them for 20 plus years

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
When i first got my Sulcata as a baby his nails were longer and sharper, now they are worn down from all the walking, pacing and digging or burrowing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.