Neck Strength Question

Val Henry

I have a general question about my beautiful Russian Tortoise Shellington. I am new to tortoises so forgive me if this is a stupid question :) (also, check out how sweet he is!)

Shellington has a strong neck when upright. He extends a ton and eats daily, etc... However, he likes to sunbathe (I'm assuming that's what it is:) With his neck limp in his enclosure... like all the way out and on the floor. Scares the poop out of me.. then I talk to him and he lifts it and walks over.

When Shellington is on his back (I weighed him this way once) his neck goes limp down and he can't lift it (when upside down). Is this normal?

Thanks
Val

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1322.JPG
    IMG_1322.JPG
    704.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    986.7 KB · Views: 15

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Every tortoise that I've ever seen laying in the sun and taking the rays, will lay with his neck stretched out on the ground. This is quite normal. As far as the limp when upsidedown part of your question, I don't know about that one.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My russian also sunbathes with her neck out. As for flipping her upside down, im not sure. Both my Russian tortoises are able to lift their neck and put it in their shell. Their head does "slide" out and the neck goes limp for a couple seconds, but they lift it back up and the process begins again.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My Redfoots sleep with their heads out most of the time, long and relaxed on the ground.
When flipped the first thing they do is fully extend their necks and use them for leverage.
Is your tort able to right himself if he is flipped?

When flipped