Biting

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all. So do horsefields have nasty bites? I was stroking Sullys chin today which is a daily occurrence that I’m led to believe he loves from his neck being fully extended and his little eyes closing and him following my hand when I stop, but today he pulled his neck back in and slowly opened his mouth and moved his head towards my fingers. I knew that was part and parcel, biting, but is there a particular reason they bite and how bad are the bites? I just want to be prepared haha!

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all. So do horsefields have nasty bites? I was stroking Sullys chin today which is a daily occurrence that I’m led to believe he loves from his neck being fully extended and his little eyes closing and him following my hand when I stop, but today he pulled his neck back in and slowly opened his mouth and moved his head towards my fingers. I knew that was part and parcel, biting, but is there a particular reason they bite and how bad are the bites? I just want to be prepared haha!
I just want to add, I didn’t purchase this tortoise ignorantly thinking they’re cuddly and like to be stroked, I fully understand that they’re quite the opposite. When we first got Sully, he loved a stroke and still seems to, but I want to understand his limits and boundaries for his happiness. I genuinely don’t mind if he doesn’t want to be handled much or stroked anymore, I just want your guys takes on it from your experiences, so I know where to go from here and hopefully keep all of my fingers! ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It would matter if he bit you because he thought you had food or if he bit you out of aggravation.
It's pretty rare for a tortoise to bite a keeper on purpose.
Another Russian tortoise? Yes.
Now I'm not gonna point out my experience as common...but to me it's happened more than once...I don't hand feed anymore. Their beaks are razor sharp, so the cut is deep and hard to stop bleeding. Don't start the habit of hand feeding, this was from a big Sulcata who I had hand fed a lot, so one day I wasn't paying attention to him so he tried to eat my finger...after all, aren't my hands made of food? lol
100_4973.JPG

100_4970.JPG

100_4967.JPG

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
It would matter if he bit you because he thought you had food or if he bit you out of aggravation.
Thanks for taking the time to reply zeropilot! I believe he thought I had food as it was just before I actually put his greens down… so that could well be the case. Thank you!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks for taking the time to reply zeropilot! I believe he thought I had food as it was just before I actually put his greens down… so that could well be the case. Thank you!
Also, because their eyes are on the sides of their heads, their "aim" isn't as good perhaps, as an animal with both eyes in front ?
Angie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Now I'm not gonna point out my experience as common...but to me it's happened more than once...I don't hand feed anymore. Their beaks are razor sharp, so the cut is deep and hard to stop bleeding. Don't start the habit of hand feeding, this was from a big Sulcata who I had hand fed a lot, so one day I wasn't paying attention to him so he tried to eat my finger...after all, aren't my hands made of food? lol
View attachment 337323

View attachment 337324

View attachment 337322
Ouch

Barbara ONeil

Gravesend
Probably just out of curiousity! My tortoises first smell then attempt to taste all sorts of things including once, my bare toe - painful! but nor repeated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Probably just out of curiousity! My tortoises first smell then attempt to taste all sorts of things including once, my bare toe - painful! but nor repeated.
I agree
My bossy female Redfoot bites my feet/shoes to get me out of her territory. But not the type of bites she COULD take.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
View attachment 337323

View attachment 337324

View attachment 337322
OMG ARE YOU OK??? That looks like it hurt a lot