Hingeback Bites Human

omhoge

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, I was prompted to join to get advice on a behavior change in our hinge back tortoise..

He has, every once in a while, started biting our feet and fingers. For over twenty years he's never opened his mouth around us except on rare occasions during heat waves when he got excited and started getting romantic with a shoe.

How do I make him stop?

He loves being out of his pen with us even if only to sit and watch us or, play by pushing against a foot, or sitting and having his neck scratched.

His time with us is important and it's upsetting that he's recently started nipping at us.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I'm afraid it's just part of what torts do when they get romantic or territorial. He's reaching full maturity now and letting you know it.

There's not much you can do other than put a fence between you and the biter.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One of my four tortoises charges me and will bite whatever she can get to. Usually a foot. And I've had her since she was quite small. About 7 years ago.
Just don't turn your back while you are working in the pen.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well, unfortunately it won't stop, you can add a female of the same species and produce offspring. If you'd like. But this is typical behavior of a male trying to find a mate. I'm surprised it too that long to get him to nip at toes.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well, unfortunately it won't stop, you can add a female of the same species and produce offspring. If you'd like. But this is typical behavior of a male trying to find a mate. I'm surprised it too that long to get him to nip at toes.
Add a female, but don't leave her there. She'll be bothered constantly!

omhoge

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the replies! That maturity part explains a lot. When it's not so hot he may calm down. Will keep an eye out!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks for the replies! That maturity part explains a lot. When it's not so hot he may calm down. Will keep an eye out!

If those toes are painted or wiggle like a yummy treat then it will happen always...also, it is so normal for a tortoise to sample with their mouth..completely normal..kinda up to the human to make sure to keep an eye out for their toes and wiggling fingers..also, if you hand food or treats to the tort it will associate your fingers with feeding time and it is common for the tort to mistake YOU for the food..lol..

omhoge

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ah, "it is so normal for a tortoise to sample with their mouth.."
that explains a small variation on the behavior. he nipped me once while I was petting him, but it was not quick and aggressive like when he's aroused, it was almost like a slow motion bite.

Yes I stopped wriggling my finger over his food to attract him on slow days for that very reason, not to associate me with food.

Thank you, this tortoise is a big part of our life and it helps A Lot! to learn more about this part of his nature.