Need Advice Please

CHARLEENIE

Location (City and/or State)
CA
7050E099-76DE-400B-B1C1-B45E7B9E21BA.jpeg
This here is a Russian Tortoise who just arrived at my local Petco (apparently yesterday according to staff). He has a deformity on his face and it seems to have fused his nostrils into one. The staff say his vet appointment is today, to determine if he is just a bit special, or if he is sick and they have to put him down. From what I saw at the pet shop, he was very active, he has clear eye, muscle in his arms and legs, he was able to move his tail and navigate himself with no trouble. With all of this being said, he is not getting proper room, food or exercise in Petco. I want to rescue him and have everything to do it. I have another male Tort and so I'm just planning on making a new enclosure with its own lights, and such.

My question is, should I rescue a tort in this condition? I don't want him to die just because he doesn't look perfect. Any help would be wonderful. I think he's fine but other might think different. Thank you.

Jasmine

CHARLEENIE

CA
The staff doesn't know his birthdate, how old he could approximately be and his gender. I'm judging by his long tail he is a male. Not sure tho.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
If they are moving about fine, eating fine, and their breathing isn’t heavy (No gasping for air, limbs aren’t lurching forwards excessively with each breath) so on, I would think it is an external issue and hasn't impacted any of the internal organs. If you are concerned, ask the employee to take the tortoise out so you can closely listen to their breathing.

If you do take the tortoise in, it would be worth taking them to the vet anyway to determine how far the issue goes. It is my own understanding that if they are functioning fine and there isn’t any struggle to breathe (right now) that the issue isn’t extensive. But this could change as the tortoise grows if they are young.

Are you able to give an estimate of the tortoise’s size?