Need advice (to buy or not?)

Emilia

I hv left it off for about 30m and now it's been 2hrs and it's still blue. Will go and change it later.just wondering, wI'll ceramic or not hv any effect?

They didn't hv the power sun brand so I hot reptizoo instead.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
The ceramic socket fixture can handle the heat made by the bulb. A plastic socket cannot handle it. Definitely get a new bulb.

Emilia

Hi all,

I notice that Bilbo is still having a cold with watery eyes and mucus. His appetite is stable and likes to bask under the light.

He seems happier (maybe) with the mercury light bulb. He doesn't like vitamins powder that I sprinkle on top of his vegetables. Probably poured too much. I use just about 1/10th of a fingernail. I hope he eventually gets better.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Hi all,

I notice that Bilbo is still having a cold with watery eyes and mucus. His appetite is stable and likes to bask under the light.

He seems happier (maybe) with the mercury light bulb. He doesn't like vitamins powder that I sprinkle on top of his vegetables. Probably poured too much. I use just about 1/10th of a fingernail. I hope he eventually gets better.
Were you able to make the changes to your enclosure that were recommended earlier? What are your four temps (night, basking, cool side, warm side)? Are you still using an MVB?

Emilia

I have changed the substrate to soil but changed it back to chips today. Reason being I notice it getting moldy. Also, thus could be the reason for the cold again. The temperature never drops below 28c as I on the light 24/7. The middle is 34ish and the hot cam hit 39 to 42 depending the time of day. Bilbo's shell is considerably hard compared to 2 weeks ago when he first caught a cold. However, his appetite is poor for 2 days including today. He hardly touch his leaf. He was walking and eating a little with energy when I took him twice to the garden for 30m today. He pooped a lot 3 days ago and I mean 3 times the length of the picture i posted. He also pooped today. His nose doesn't look runny. He doesn't scratch his eyes as often so I'm really out of ideas. I fed him carrot shredding which he ate happily but a small amount. I didn't manage to take him to the vet last week. My mercury bulb blasted again in just a week. I on it more than 14 hours a day. Is it the bulb? Or is it due to overheating because I on it too long? It became blue again.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I have changed the substrate to soil but changed it back to chips today. Reason being I notice it getting moldy. Also, thus could be the reason for the cold again. The temperature never drops below 28c as I on the light 24/7. The middle is 34ish and the hot cam hit 39 to 42 depending the time of day. Bilbo's shell is considerably hard compared to 2 weeks ago when he first caught a cold. However, his appetite is poor for 2 days including today. He hardly touch his leaf. He was walking and eating a little with energy when I took him twice to the garden for 30m today. He pooped a lot 3 days ago and I mean 3 times the length of the picture i posted. He also pooped today. His nose doesn't look runny. He doesn't scratch his eyes as often so I'm really out of ideas. I fed him carrot shredding which he ate happily but a small amount. I didn't manage to take him to the vet last week. My mercury bulb blasted again in just a week. I on it more than 14 hours a day. Is it the bulb? Or is it due to overheating because I on it too long? It became blue again.

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
Do you have a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)? The tortoise needs darkness to sleep properly, so leaving a light on all the time could cause him to not sleep well. A CHE can be put on a thermostat and will provide heat at night for your tortoise without lighting up the enclosure and keeping him up at night.

If you had a second bulb fail, it could be a bad/inappropriate fixture. I use the ZooMed deep dome for my MVB and haven't had any issues lately. I believe a lot of people use ceramic fixtures from the hardware store...you just need to make sure it has a ceramic socket so it doesn't overheat. If your tortoise gets regular outdoor time, you could just use the incandescent bulb for basking...they are much cheaper so you can replace them as needed without going broke.

Try feeding Endive or Escarole lettuce. My guys will always scarf that down so if you're having a hard time getting yours to eat those might help him get his appetite back. Or dandelion greens.

Emilia

Do you have a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)? The tortoise needs darkness to sleep properly, so leaving a light on all the time could cause him to not sleep well. A CHE can be put on a thermostat and will provide heat at night for your tortoise without lighting up the enclosure and keeping him up at night.

If you had a second bulb fail, it could be a bad/inappropriate fixture. I use the ZooMed deep dome for my MVB and haven't had any issues lately. I believe a lot of people use ceramic fixtures from the hardware store...you just need to make sure it has a ceramic socket so it doesn't overheat. If your tortoise gets regular outdoor time, you could just use the incandescent bulb for basking...they are much cheaper so you can replace them as needed without going broke.

Try feeding Endive or Escarole lettuce. My guys will always scarf that down so if you're having a hard time getting yours to eat those might help him get his appetite back. Or dandelion greens.

Thanks careym,

I just bought the ceramic heater yesterday and just cane back from exchanging the light bulb. Fingers x that this bulb will last. Will look up the greens that u mentioned. He didn't eat much in the morning and he pooped again but a much smaller amount today. I hope it's not due to poisoning from water as I notice his water bowl was rusted. I have changed that to a plastic bowl for now.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Thanks careym,

I just bought the ceramic heater yesterday and just cane back from exchanging the light bulb. Fingers x that this bulb will last. Will look up the greens that u mentioned. He didn't eat much in the morning and he pooped again but a much smaller amount today. I hope it's not due to poisoning from water as I notice his water bowl was rusted. I have changed that to a plastic bowl for now.
Try using terra cotta plant saucers for water dishes. They are cheap and easy to clean. I have an extra set so I run them through the dishwasher everyday and pull out a clean one each morning.

Emilia

I might have posted this question before but here it is again. How much does a 6cm baby sulcata eat/should be eating? He has not eaten much (at most 1 leaf) compared to the previous 4 to 5 palm size leaf.

I'm worried that the seller might have injected him with appetizer or something to boost appetite.

Below is the recap of the 3 weeks that I have Bilbo.

Week 1: fell sick due to cold.
Week 2: recovered. Batyril treatment was stopped half way
Week 3: runny nose again. But when I see him now looks fine. End of week tremendous drop in appetite.
Week 4: trying to get him to eat. Eats a small thin shred of carrot for during last Saturday and Sunday. Now considering taking to another vet again. Attempting to buy another veg as suggested above. Will buy and try feeding today. Still bites pretty well. Bit my finger accidentally yesterday and it hurts(no punctured mark. Back to normal within a 10 to 15m or so).

Thank you all for your advice in advance :D

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I don't raise sulcata, so I can't speak to the volume of food for this species, but can I ask why you stopped the antibiotic course halfway through? Did the vet advise stopping the medication early?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I give my tortoises a pile of food a little bigger than the size of their shells everyday. I give them enough so that there is always some leftover, that way I know they got enough.

If you are feeling like your tort needs to go back to the vet than I would suggest you go ahead and take him.

Emilia

I don't raise sulcata, so I can't speak to the volume of food for this species, but can I ask why you stopped the antibiotic course halfway through? Did the vet advise stopping the medication early?
Because Tom said that it affects the organs? being 1 of the reason. 2nd I couldn't get him to open his mouth. He only bats the syringe away and he seemed better so...

Emilia

I b

I bought and gave him coral lettuce. I hope it's ok. It looks like the escarole that u mentioned so..

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've not heard of coral lettuce. Perhaps someone else will know. If it is in the lettuce family it is probably fine, but it may or may not have any nutritional value to your tortoise.

Emilia

Here r some photos of bilbo. Also, his bottom shell, is it suppose to be able to move when pushed?or is it suppose to move barely or not at all?

He's not really eating. Now he's only eating a nibble to 3/4 of a small leaf.

The mince veg tactic mixed with carrot failed. I put 50 50 portion.

Any comments on his health would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20151016_210428.jpg
    20151016_210428.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20151016_210412.jpg
    20151016_210412.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20151016_210358.jpg
    20151016_210358.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20151016_210307.jpg
    20151016_210307.jpg
    872.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20151016_210301.jpg
    20151016_210301.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 11

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
In young babies the shell can be pliable. But if it is squishy feeling, it could be from a lack of calcium. Have you tried feeding Radicchio lettuce? It is red and round, like the size of a softball. Also, have you re-measured your night time temps now that you have the CHE?

Emilia

In young babies the shell can be pliable. But if it is squishy feeling, it could be from a lack of calcium. Have you tried feeding Radicchio lettuce? It is red and round, like the size of a softball. Also, have you re-measured your night time temps now that you have the CHE?
Yes it's the same with the morning temp. 40 for hot. 35ish middle and 30ish for ambient. Am monitoring him closely.