Need advice with new turtle

Vanessa Schnautz

Location (City and/or State)
King George, Virginia
so... i was given a turtle. I think it is an eastern box turtle.
Its been a week and i havent seen her eat. I dont know if she ate the worms i gave her or if they escaped into the ground. I give her different greens and turtle pellets at night so they r there when the sun comes up, chicken, ground beef, worms, fruit, but shes not eating. Im sure she is just getting used to her new habitat... she uses her water dish every day and i saw her pee. When should i start to worry? She does come out when it gets rainy. Otherwise she spends most of her time in her log. Looks adult.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She is in an outdoor enclosure or indoor? How warm is it? Does it get warm enough to bask and properly digest the food? Is it warm enough that she does feel like she needs to hibernate? Is there enough plantings that she feels safe to wonder? Post st a pic of the enclosure.
It also could be she needs time to get used to her new home

Vanessa Schnautz

King George, Virginia
Outdoor enclosure, it's summer here so temps are in the 80's, going down to the 60's at night. I could put more plants in the enclosure. I wasn't too prepared for her - I was planning on getting a Russian Tortoise - and then I was "gifted" with this one, so I strung together a quick enclosure. She could do with more plants. I'll get a pic of her enclosure. It's a bit rudimentary at the moment, 14ft long 2-3 ft wide. There are patio stones aound the edges, dirt with weeds in the middle. My poperty has a 6-foot fence blocking the south/east aspect, so unfortunately her area is in the north/west aspect. I thought perhaps I should add a full spectrum bulb? She gets afternoon sun - which I know isn't ideal. I'v been trying to find a suitable spot for her. In the mean time - I have her in part of a fenced empty aviary, since it was the quickest safest spot I could come up with. But since I just cut down the huge maple tree - I have a lot more sun in the yard, so I could come up with a spot that gives sher more of an eastern aspect. Just not sure how crucial that is in the middle of summer.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
they usually never eat right away when their lives have changed. it is stressful. yes, a lot of hiding places will help. Good Luck.

Vanessa Schnautz

King George, Virginia
I did't get a pic today... I'll get one tomorrow. She did move around a lot more todya. It was cloudy and in the 70s, everytime I looked she was somewhere else. I picked out a spot in the flower garden that is already planted, has shade nd sun, and gets mornign sun. So I'll get some pics of both tomorrow.

Vanessa Schnautz

King George, Virginia
Oh - outdoor humidity was 70% today. her current temp area has sand/weeds. The other spot I was thinking about has rocks, but I wanted to spread some sphagnum moss over part of the area so she has diferent substrates.