1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Need Info On Box Turtle Care

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by Cactusflwr1, May 15, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Cactusflwr1

Cactusflwr1 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Williamsburg, VA
    Hi! I am new to the forum and still learning how to navigate it. I have an eastern box turtle my son rescued a few years ago. Shes a tripod and was the size of a bottle cap when he found her on a bridge. I am using the coconut substrate and wandered how often I should change it. Also I have been feeding her the canned box food from petco mixed with fresh veggies and some fish pate style cat food. I have tried freeze dried mealworms, fresh earth worms, meal worms and the typical box mix food. She isnt fond of it and the main reason she wasnt thriving for months. I recently read somewhere that we shouldn't supplement with canned dog or pet food. If that's true, any ideas of what other protein sources she may like?
  2. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin

Clovis, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi and welcome! I don't change my substrate. I use small kibble orchid bark. Cypress mulch is good too. I don't like the coco coir because it's messy, but many people use and like it. At the end of the season I scrap everything and start over with fresh in the Spring.

I also have baby tortoises, and they eat chopped up greens and vegetables. I use this same food mixture for the box turtles, only I add the juice from a can of cat food to 'flavor' the greens and make them eat them.
  3. Maro2Bear

Maro2Bear Well-Known Member

Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
    Pastel Tortie, PJay and ColleenT like this.
  4. ColleenT

ColleenT Well-Known Member

Lehigh Valley Pa
    Yes, Moisture is key. For food info, check the link in my signature.
    PJay likes this.