Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorirosales

5 Year Member
I have two male California Desert Tortoises. They have an outdoor pen which they are enclosed in at night and are allowed to roam free in the back yard during the day.

My question...I got a call from my exotics vet and she asked me if I would be interested in taking in a Russian Tortoise. Someone brought in a female who had been attacked. The owner relinquised it to the vet because she didn't have money for it's medical needs. It is missing part of it's front foot and has a few other scrapes and cuts but is over all healthy.

Is it possible for my California Desert Tortoises to live with the russian tortoise?

I am also doing research on the russian tortoise as we speak but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,
-Lori

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
You should never mix species especially tortoises from another continent, I own 3 rusians, in california along with a CDT that I keep separate. aside from size issues, there are also pathogen issues. I would not recommend it.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
lorirosales said:
I have two male California Desert Tortoises. They have an outdoor pen which they are enclosed in at night and are allowed to roam free in the back yard during the day.

My question...I got a call from my exotics vet and she asked me if I would be interested in taking in a Russian Tortoise. Someone brought in a female who had been attacked. The owner relinquised it to the vet because she didn't have money for it's medical needs. It is missing part of it's front foot and has a few other scrapes and cuts but is over all healthy.

Is it possible for my California Desert Tortoises to live with the russian tortoise?

I am also doing research on the russian tortoise as we speak but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,
-Lori

No. Please keep them separate especially during this time of healing for her.

lorirosales

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
You should never mix species especially tortoises from another continent, I own 3 rusians, in california along with a CDT that I keep separate. aside from size issues, there are also pathogen issues. I would not recommend it.

Thanks for your quick responce.
It is possible for me to keep them seperate BUT how different does an outdoor set up need to be to properly care for the russian? Do you have any pics of your set ups?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I say to only take it if you are able to keep them separate from each other..

lorirosales

5 Year Member
FernandoM said:
lorirosales said:

Thanks in advance,
-Lori

No. Please keep them separate especially during this time of healing for her.

Hello,
It is very possible for me to keep them seperate. How should her enclosure be set up?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
check the Russian tort section. they are very hardy, hibernate and dont require a whole lot. I would plan on keeping her inside off dirt, until her foot is healed.
My russian live outdoors 24/7. n calif.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
They are very similar to Desert tortoises (Enclosure wise). But I agree with Laura as far as keeping the Russian inside until she's back to 100%.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lori:

You can set the Russian up just like your desert tortoises are set up, but bear in mind that they climb a whole lot better, and they are exceptional diggers. So some modifications should be made to be sure she can't climb out or dig under.

I think you will enjoy having a new russian tortoise. They are great little tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.