Need enclosure ideas for Las Vegas please

Tiffany Montoya

Hi I took in a sulcata my mom found in her yard I didnt know much but tried my best my old yard had lots of poisonous plants so we built him an enclosure and he grazed on grass and ate Hibiscus flowers. We recently moved to vegas and the landscape is rocks thats it. We cut out a section and threw down seed so he had grass but it died and Im needing to start something new. I need affordable ideas please? Certain plants to plant that they love and would thrive in vegas heat. Is all this rock okay for him as long as I have a grass area?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    989.8 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
From the pic though it's not a sulcata. It's a red footed tortoise

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
looks like your tortoise is either a Greek or a hermman, I'm leaning toward Hermann

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Defiantly a sulcata. You can add shade to parts of the enclosure and a mud hole for hot days. I'm not good with plants but letting grass grow out ans succulents

Kyle

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Definitely a sulcata. Not sure what photos everyone was looking at.

I don't have planting advice for Vegas, unfortunately. You'll likely need some shade cloth to make temperatures more manageable.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
June 21 1016 219.JPG Definitely need shade and fresh water always available. He would love shallow water to walk into and soak. Like a trash can lid maybe. Don't freak out when he poo's in his water :)

The blue kiddie pool (trimmed down a lot) works well for our sulcata who is pretty big.

Last edited:

Tiffany Montoya

Defiantly a sulcata. You can add shade to parts of the enclosure and a mud hole for hot days. I'm not good with plants but letting grass grow out ans succulents

Kyle
Yes he def needs shade he has burrowed probably to escape the heat. How do I create a mudhole? What succulents does ur tortiose love?

Tiffany Montoya

View attachment 178098 Definitely need shade and fresh water always available. He would love shallow water to walk into and soak. Like a trash can lid maybe. Don't freak out when he poo's in his water :)

The blue kiddie pool (trimmed down a lot) works well for our sulcata who is pretty big.
I was so thinking of a trimmed kiddie pool he is growing out of his plant saucer but i do fill it up everyday and he gets the sprinkler on he loves it

Tiffany Montoya

These pics are when we first got him he is way bigger now

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 30

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Love the sprinkler picture !

Add a big pile of food and he will think he is in heaven.

Spineless cacti are great for their diet in moderation. Maybe a fruitless mulberry tree will grow in your area. They do great up here and we were 118 earlier this week. Maybe that broke the record but the mulberry trees are all happy...

These pics are when we first got him he is way bigger now

Tiffany Montoya

View attachment 178098 Definitely need shade and fresh water always available. He would love shallow water to walk into and soak. Like a trash can lid maybe. Don't freak out when he poo's in his water :)

Love the sprinkler picture !

Add a big pile of food and he will think he is in heaven.

Spineless cacti are great for their diet in moderation. Maybe a fruitless mulberry tree will grow in your area. They do great up here and we were 118 earlier this week. Maybe that broke the record but the mulberry trees are all happy...
Thanks for all the info ur baby is beautiful

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
I posted the sulcata picture for reference for the person who wrote this. The pic she posted has red legs