Introduction

assmustard

Location (City and/or State)
East Side Las Vegas
Hello everyone my name is Ruben and i’ve been having my Desert Tortoise named Torterra (agassizii) for 10 months now. He’s a rescue , his previous owner was neglecting him. I also have two persian cats and a leopard gecko! I’m very happy to join a community like this as it’s my first time stepping out of my comfort zone and joining something like this. I live in Las Vegas and happy to share my journey with Torterra

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpeg
    IMG_4260.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4048.jpeg
    IMG_4048.jpeg
    960 KB · Views: 1
  • 70103815292__06EA5219-60CD-4866-BC56-889E2AA1F3BA.jpeg
    70103815292__06EA5219-60CD-4866-BC56-889E2AA1F3BA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Does she have any grass or weeds to graze on? If not, you could plant some in low sided trays, do a few of them, then give her one and when that's destroyed, place another one with her and start the growing process over in the one you removed.

assmustard

East Side Las Vegas
i actually was getting on that this past weekend , i’ve been letting him go ham on everyday in my front yard and the native plants that grow there. any other seeds you guys recommend i should grow??

Attachments

• IMG_4508.png
    IMG_4508.png
    347.2 KB · Views: 1

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
i actually was getting on that this past weekend , i’ve been letting him go ham on everyday in my front yard and the native plants that grow there. any other seeds you guys recommend i should grow??
This is a type that some members here use. You can buy on Amazon.
Wheatgrass is also a easy seed to grow.
20230926_172532.jpg
Here is another members use.
Screenshot_20230926_173607_Chrome.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
opinions on this brand of wheatgrass? if anything i might just get that ground cover you showed
Oh yes, welcome to the forum! Thank you for giving a rescue a better home
Wheatgrass is easy to grow. What I like about the other two I posted. Is there is more than just wheatgrass. Variety of food is a good thing for tortoises. Don't let your tort dictate what he wants to eat. They have a tendency to pick one food. If he is a picky eater. Start mixing a little of a different food with what he likes. Keep adding more as time goes on. Sometimes you just have to leave the food in the dish for a few days. Freshen it up as needed. They can go days without eating. Sometimes it takes a little tough love. To get them eating different foods.
I would start soaking him in a tray that is big enough for him to turn around. Tall enough so he can't climb out. Water depth should be where the top shell (carapace) and bottom shell (plastron) meet. Do this daily for about 1/2 hr or longer if he wants. Keep water warm but try to keep out of direct sun. Even though he is in water, the carapace not in the water. Will get over 100°. They usually will have a bowel movement while soaking. So a second tray with fresh water could be handy.
Have you named your new family member yet?

assmustard

East Side Las Vegas
Oh yes, welcome to the forum! Thank you for giving a rescue a better home
Wheatgrass is easy to grow. What I like about the other two I posted. Is there is more than just wheatgrass. Variety of food is a good thing for tortoises. Don't let your tort dictate what he wants to eat. They have a tendency to pick one food. If he is a picky eater. Start mixing a little of a different food with what he likes. Keep adding more as time goes on. Sometimes you just have to leave the food in the dish for a few days. Freshen it up as needed. They can go days without eating. Sometimes it takes a little tough love. To get them eating different foods.
I would start soaking him in a tray that is big enough for him to turn around. Tall enough so he can't climb out. Water depth should be where the top shell (carapace) and bottom shell (plastron) meet. Do this daily for about 1/2 hr or longer if he wants. Keep water warm but try to keep out of direct sun. Even though he is in water, the carapace not in the water. Will get over 100°. They usually will have a bowel movement while soaking. So a second tray with fresh water could be handy.
Have you named your new family member yet?
i’ve soaked him once a month since i’ve had him! i got him on january first this year and his name is Torterra like the pokémon! He is sometimes a picky eater but i’ve leaned towards the native plants that grow in my front yard and just watching him graze for an hour or two everyday! i do want to start growing more food for him though so i’m just gonna buy the ground cover you showed me and start with the trays!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
i’ve soaked him once a month since i’ve had him! i got him on january first this year and his name is Torterra like the pokémon! He is sometimes a picky eater but i’ve leaned towards the native plants that grow in my front yard and just watching him graze for an hour or two everyday! i do want to start growing more food for him though so i’m just gonna buy the ground cover you showed me and start with the trays!
That's great Torterra is doing a lot of grazing. That needs to be 80% of his diet.