Need help- egg bound redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Hello all,
I have a female redfoot approx 8 inches long which laid some eggs (infertile) for the first time last year in October. This year I noticed her being very lathargic so I brought her inside to more closely monitor. i set her up in a 55 gallon tank with about 8 inches of cypress mulch in case she was needing to drop some eggs. After 2 days of her just sitting in the same spot, not eating and looking miserable I took her to a vet. There are no good reptile vets where I live in Ga. but he did xray and we found 7 eggs (seem large) that showed up well on the films. Vet says they seem fully developed and plenty of calcium since they show so well. Vet gave an injection to aid in starting contractions but no luck. I have soaked her in warm water to keep her hydrated but now days later she still is extremly lathargic with no interest in food. Anyone have any suggestions in what I can do to help her pass these eggs. (Note- vet did a fecal exam and nothing showed there parasite wise so she has to be feeling bad from these eggs)
Thanks in advance for any help, David

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi David:

Oxytocin doesn't work on all tortoise types. If the vet doesn't know what to do for your tortoise, the only thing I can suggest is to let her soak in warm water as much as possible, even for hours and hours. Also keep a light on her so she stays warmer than room temp, but be careful she doesn't over heat.

Here's an article for you to read:

http://www.tortoise.org/general/eggbind.html

DAV46

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply and article ref emys- by the way this is David who has Squirt the Aldabra as well. Hope you are doing well. Yes my poor little female looks miserable and I will continue with the soakings. Im hoping when i get off work today she was able to pass them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We have used oxytocyn in the past, has always worked well. Recheck your dose and confirm with your vet.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
For how long has she been "miserable" ? You say she's not eaten, how long since she ate something ? Is she drinking ?

The reason for me asking is that one of my females did not lay her fully developed eggs until 3-4 weeks after it was confirmed with an x-ray that she was ready...

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
ALDABRAMAN said:
We have used oxytocyn in the past, has always worked well. Recheck your dose and confirm with your vet.

This would be what I would do too.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replys everyone. I am calling the vet this morning to see about another try with the oxytocyn and verify the dose. I know for sure she hasnt eaten in 2 weeks and maybe longer. She stays in a outdoor heated shed with 3 others untill i noticed her not looking well 2 weeks ago when I pulled her inside to monitor. Been soaking her every other day in warm water and have seen her drink.
I'll keep you posted.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Update: Talked with the vet and he contacted University of Ga Vet school who supposedly has someone knowledgeable on Tortoises. Same decision as what you guys say...so I dropped her off at the vet a few minutes ago and they are going to up the dose of oxytocyn and give her some now then if nothing another dose about 8 hours later. The vet did say he just gave a minimal amount the 1st round so cross your fingers! C'mon Emily drop those eggs!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think they also need a calcium injection along with the oxy.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Great news so far- Vet said she dropped 7 eggs this morning- their office staff was shocked how big the eggs were for her size. Will pick her up after work and have a nice soaking and large salad waiting for her!
Thanks again everyone!

DAV46

5 Year Member
Not sure- last year was her first year laying and none of them were. Vet saved them for me and I have had the incubator running since going through this so i will give it a shot. I'll chat you in a 100 days or so hahaha!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DAV46 said:
Not sure- last year was her first year laying and none of them were. Vet saved them for me and I have had the incubator running since going through this so i will give it a shot. I'll chat you in a 100 days or so hahaha!

How fun. Hope you get some babies from all this :cool:
Keep us posted...

DAV46

5 Year Member
Well here she is showing life in those beautiful redfoot eyes again. Appetite is back and look at her go at that plate of food. I don't expect the eggs to survive but 4 out of the 7 looked ok so have them in the incubator now. After this vet bill little emily is an Aldabra in a redfoot costume!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 38

DAV46

5 Year Member
Yes she is all yellow, not a bit of red on her- not sure where she came from originally. I found her at a reptile show in South Carolina a couple years back. I have this one redfoot named Leonard that really really likes her all year long so I think after this I will keep them seperated for a while. Maybe I will get Leonard a rock and paint some yellow dots all over it! haha

Status
Not open for further replies.