Redfoot nesting

HouKen

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I have a female Redfoots that started digging a nest a couple weeks ago. Once she dug the hole she got up and walked off. Since then, she has not dug or payed eggs outside of a nest. How long should I wait to take her to the vet? This will be the first time she has ever laid eggs. I would hate to lose her.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
How big is her anal scute area? Is the anal open large enough to fit a ping pong ball? If it is smaller than that, you may want to keep a close eye on her as she may be egg bound. If the area is large enough to pass an egg, I wouldn't worry. Mine generally try a few days after abandoning the nest.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Right now I've got two RF females digging and pacing. They have been for weeks. They eat and behave healthy enough. I'm beginning to think it's some sort of practice run.................

dumje

5 Year Member
Miami Florida
They will often dig "practice" holes...so just pay attention...they often will lay in a corner, covered area or up against plants so you may have overlooked it

HouKen

10 Year Member!
Houston
Her anal scuttle opening is large enough. Perhaps it is a test run... I have seen no signs of further digging. Is there any tell tale signs I should watch out for? I would really hate to lose her from being egg bound