Yellowfoot nesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
My adult female started digging a "test hole" June 10th. Then on June 14th, 3 more "test holes" and NOTHING since...I'm confused on to when she will finally lay. I felt eggs in her so I know she's not just messing with me lol. I didn't know if anyone went through this and for how long before their tortoise decided to lay her eggs. She's got a huge enclosure outside, I dug up the dirt, I've sprayed it down, I've soaked her etc. Please let me know if this is normal.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Giving your thread a bump so the experienced egg layers :)P) will hopefully pop on and give you some advice....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
My yellowfoots tend to only dig and lay if it's very mooshy and wet. They come from deep in the rain forest so they are used to more very soft very wet mixed with leaves and small plant debris substrate. Sometimes they will lay them 1 by one on the surface or find that right spot. The yellow don't tend to dig up grass and somewhat clayish or hard soil like a redfoot can. I would dig up a few corners and replace the soil with a peat or sphagnum miss mixture with some sand and topsoil and water the pen and the new nest sites as usual. I would make sure the new soil your going to place is at least 1' deep and about 2' by 2'. Gonna take some work but should make her happy.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just make sure if keeping them outside a mister system or very frequent watering is necisarily purdanent for this species. They not only love it very humid and wet they need it. Lots of plants for them to hide under. I always put food out at night because they tend to wake at first light and eat. Lovely species. Good luck with the eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.