Need Help for Possible Sick Box Turtle

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello,
I have a friend with a young box turtle, Savannah, that they have had since May. They are concerned because the the turtle isn't really eating anymore and they see some white/greyish on her skin and said she is scaling? I do not know much at all about box turtles. I couldn't see anything from the pictures she sent myself, but perhaps someone else may know what is going on? I said she may be sick, and they want to know if she needs to be taken to a vet. Any thoughts on what may be going on?
Thank you.

IMG_9426.JPG IMG_9427.JPG IMG_9428.JPG IMG_9429.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Skin looks normal to me, but they've got to get it eating quickly. The not eating thing is a death sentence to young box turtles. Have they tried wax worms?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Skin looks normal to me, but they've got to get it eating quickly. The not eating thing is a death sentence to young box turtles. Have they tried wax worms?
I checked with my friend. They have not tried wax worms but will. They wondered if Savannah was possibly constipated and is that causing the no eating. I think they spoke to someone who said the bugs were causing constipation and are wondering if wax worms would make it worse? Is it possible that Savannah may be trying to go into brumation? Is a young turtle like that ok to do so?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Feeding wet foods like watermelon, cucumber will help hydrate the digestive tract, and long, I mean LONG, soaks in warm water helps too.

If the turtle lives indoors and they are keeping the lights on for 12-14 hours a day, then the turtle doesn't realize it's getting to be winter. Do they want the turtle to brumate? If not, then long days and warm nights tell it the time isn't right for brumation.

If it lives outside, then, yes, that certainly could be why the turtle isn't eating.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Feeding wet foods like watermelon, cucumber will help hydrate the digestive tract, and long, I mean LONG, soaks in warm water helps too.

If the turtle lives indoors and they are keeping the lights on for 12-14 hours a day, then the turtle doesn't realize it's getting to be winter. Do they want the turtle to brumate? If not, then long days and warm nights tell it the time isn't right for brumation.

If it lives outside, then, yes, that certainly could be why the turtle isn't eating.
Thank you so much Yvonne. I will let them know. Appreciate your help!

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Where your friends live, it might be getting too cool. Young boxies like this need like 80 F temps and also if the days get shorter and they don't have artificial light to extend the photoperiod, they will lose appetite.
Been there. That's how i joined this forum. Box turtles need to have warmth or they can't digest, thus won't eat.
Cute turtle.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Where your friends live, it might be getting too cool. Young boxies like this need like 80 F temps and also if the days get shorter and they don't have artificial light to extend the photoperiod, they will lose appetite.
Been there. That's how i joined this forum. Box turtles need to have warmth or they can't digest, thus won't eat.
Cute turtle.
Thank you, I will let them know.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I've raised many baby boxies. They need to be kept warm, have very moist substrate to bury in, and a dish of water to soak in. Mine would always get in the water on their own, and that's where they poop. I always recommend an abundance of pill bugs, mealworms, and any other moving bugs. They need a lot of protein as hatchlings. But turtle food, fruits, and vegetables can also be made available. The pill bugs will also eat the turtle poop, so the water can be dumped into the substrate.

By the way, in the pictures, the turtle looks beautiful.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I've raised many baby boxies. They need to be kept warm, have very moist substrate to bury in, and a dish of water to soak in. Mine would always get in the water on their own, and that's where they poop. I always recommend an abundance of pill bugs, mealworms, and any other moving bugs. They need a lot of protein as hatchlings. But turtle food, fruits, and vegetables can also be made available. The pill bugs will also eat the turtle poop, so the water can be dumped into the substrate.

By the way, in the pictures, the turtle looks beautiful.
This forum is great! Thanks so much! I passed on what you said to my friend today. They did end up taking Savannah to a vet on Friday who confirmed she was very constipated, most likely from mealworms that she had been eating. Vet also thought she may have some parasites, but couldn’t confirm without the stool sample. She has to be given a laxative orally for awhile. If she still isn’t eating the vet wanted them to bring her back in and the wound try and force her to eat. Right now they are waiting to see if the laxatives, keeping warm, and soaking will work. I hope so. I agree, she’s a beautiful little one.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello, just wanted to give an update on my friends Box turtle. She is still constipated, though did finally have a bowel movement. This allowed the vet to check a sample and turns out she does have parasites and is now on meds, as well as a laxative. She was also told to syringe feed her baby food chicken since she will not eat. That’s about all I know so far.