Need help for slimy discharge

r.a.c.h.e.l

Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Hi everyone, I'm Rachel and I'm new here. I have Torty, star tortoise with me for two years, he is 17cm and roughly 460g now. I put him out at the garden during day time and take him in to his enclosure at night. He had two antibiotics treatments ( three injections for each treatment) at the clinic for his flu but it seems like he's not healing. He is better after the injections but the same problem comes back again few days after the injections. There are plenty of slimy discharge come out from the mouth last night and there are some in his poop this morning. What should I do? Is there any other way to help him out?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Can you give us a picture of your tortoise set up, plus temperatures within the enclosure?

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
It's in his poop?

In my experience with RIs the discharge comes out in large quantities from the nose and mouth, when the tortoise sneezes it pours out. With Bean's RIs I'd wipe the mucus from his nostrils constantly to help him breathe because there was so much of it. But the mucus would go away fairly early on in the antibiotic treatment. Never have I seen it come from the vent, only the nose and mouth. Does he have other symptoms of an RI? When you put your ear to his plastron, do you hear a clicking sound when he breathes? Did you have a culture done to make sure it was an RI?

The reason I'm asking is because a massive parasite infestation can also cause the tort to vomit a mucus-like discharge and I'd imagine this could also cause mucus in the stool. Did you have a fecal test done?

Another thing to consider: it sounds like your tort's antibiotic rounds are pretty short. Some people keep their torts on antibiotics for MONTHS for a single RI. What could be happening is you're treating him long enough for his body to heal just so the mucus situation improves, and then he relapses because the infection was not eradicated from his system.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my experience, a slimy discharge sometimes means an infestation of protozoan type parasites.