Need help force feeding ?

Kyle Gedrose

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hi. Recently my Sulcata Tortoise got pretty sick and stopped eating. Then to my horror her bottom beak fell off and I immediately took her to a vet. She was diagnosed with a respiratory infection and she is now being treated with antibiotics and needs to be fed through a dropper. I have tortoise pellets and I am blending them up with purified water, grass and some calcium powder. Tomorrow I’m going to the vet to pick up some prescribed vitamins. My question is how should I go about getting some food in her system. I really don’t want her to hurt her by getting any liquids in her lungs or anything. Also I have to give her a shot of antibiotics every day so how should I do this. The vet said in her front foot between the scales. Is this right? She is about five months old.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
I’ve had to administer antibiotic shots to two different baby sulcatas that I’ve brought in over the last few years. But both times I was directed every other day and rotating in the front arms. Also, antibiotics will make them not want to eat as well. I believe there are a few on these forums that would disagree with giving antibiotics to the little ones.
Get ready for questions regarding your enclosure, temperature, humidity, diet... all of this info will better help guide you in the right direction. Warm and humid, very important! Getting the little one to eat may come down to adding baby food or pedialyte(clear kind) to there bathing dish and probably do that twice a day, morning and afternoon.

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
Hello. So I went to the vet again today and she came me a different set on antibiotics that I do not need to administer as often and she said they are better than tortoises. Also, she gave me a mixture called emeraid for herbivores and a catheter to administer the food into her mouth. She seems to be doing so much better already after one shot of the antibiotics. When I took her out to eat she was moving so much more from what I’ve seen within the past week. I could barely keep her still! Her food is rich in vitamin a and d and I’m hoping she will soon take a turn for the better. Her jaw seems to be looking a lot better. Before the beak part fell off it Was hanging off so far she was not able to open her mouth or eat anything. I hav not seen anymore blood on or in her mouth since when it first fell off and she is now able to close her mouth fully. At first the inside of her mouth was so swollen that she was not able to close it even after it fell off and I couldn’t even see her tongue. Now I see no swelling. I will keep you updated.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
wow, I am glad she seems better. do keep us posted. I had to forcefeed a grown African Leopard years ago. It was so hard to know if I was getting the goods in her throat and lungs or stomach. so I feel for you.