Need help getting started

Zoey339

Hi. I've posted here before but decided not to get a tortoise at the time. But here we go again.
My son has been asking for a tortoise for last 2 years or so and I want to get it for him for christmas.
I live in new orleans. It can be very hot and humid during the summer, like high 90s for months. It's going to live inside until the summer then we will build an enclosure for him.
I was going to get a Russian tortoise just because they are easier to get tbh. Would this species be okay in our climate? If not, any suggestions?
I also need some tips on building a temp home for it. I was thinking a Rubbermaid container and a clamp lamp? What to use for bedding?
Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
a Russian will do fine there but if it's hot and humid you might consider a red foot it would do better there.

Zoey339

I know red foots don't hibernate. How cold can it get before u have to bring them inside?

AnimalLady

Its pretty humid where you're at, you could definitely get a Red Foot, they do not hibernate.

I live in Miami and its sticky here too, from all the reading ive been doing this species will thrive here or where you're at too.

Zoey339

Just concerned if they don't hibernate then I imagine they don't handle the cold well. While our cold weather isn't really bad until late Dec or Jan we will have cold fronts and cold weather off and on until then in oct, nov, dec. Could they survive a little cold outside or when to bring them in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can always provide heat in their outdoor shelter.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi. I've posted here before but decided not to get a tortoise at the time. But here we go again.
My son has been asking for a tortoise for last 2 years or so and I want to get it for him for christmas.
I live in new orleans. It can be very hot and humid during the summer, like high 90s for months. It's going to live inside until the summer then we will build an enclosure for him.
I was going to get a Russian tortoise just because they are easier to get tbh. Would this species be okay in our climate? If not, any suggestions?
I also need some tips on building a temp home for it. I was thinking a Rubbermaid container and a clamp lamp? What to use for bedding?
Thanks
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please read the "Beginners' Mistake" Thread and different care sheets. These will help you. And if you have ANY questions, do NOT hesitate to ask.

Good luck to you and your son, with the tort you choose.:)

AnimalLady

Just concerned if they don't hibernate then I imagine they don't handle the cold well. While our cold weather isn't really bad until late Dec or Jan we will have cold fronts and cold weather off and on until then in oct, nov, dec. Could they survive a little cold outside or when to bring them in?

You could bring the tort inside for the cold snaps. Thats what I plan to do. I house 2 of my guys outside, the bigger one (Russian) stays out at night time too (he's fully enclosed and safe) the little itty bitty comes in at night because its so small it scares me!. I plan to bring in my Russian when and if the temps get in the upper 60's.

Or, you could do as Yvonne G recommended and build an outdoor shelter with heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks

I like to have a big well designed indoor enclosure that will work anytime of year. Then I make an even bigger outdoor enclosure for fair weather. With this strategy you could keep any species you wanted there.

Redfoots do well there, but they do get big (around 12") and will need a good sized indoor set up for you colder winter days. An outdoor heated shelter like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/ would allow you to keep an older one outside year round.

A russian would survive there, but a hermanni might be better suited to dealing with your humidity. Either of these two species can be hibernated in a fridge set to the right temp to get through your winters.

Here is the care info for russians:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And this will help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
For an adult Redfoot, the lowest temperature I would expose them to would be 70 degrees. 60's they can probably tolerate for short periods.

I would not use a clamp lamp, they can be fire hazards and fall into the enclosure. Try getting a lamp stand instead.

Zoey339

The temp here can be crazy. 60 in the morning in close to 90 by the afternoon. This is actually fairly common. It can be really rainy for weeks than no rain for weeks straight.
I'm trying to go as basic as possibly on the enclosure both indoors and outdoors. So outdoor heating is not likely to happen.
I had box turtles growing up. Though mine were all taken straight from the woods. But would a box turtle be a better option?
I'll go read though the links. Thanks