need some advice on picking out a tortise.

skiblits

5 Year Member
I have been wanting a tortoise ever since I fostered a Russian toetise. Growing up we had a leopard tortoise and a sulcata. I live in Denver Colorado and would like a Tortoise that can enjoy the outdoors during warmer months and that will come inside and have his own room in cooler times of year. I have been thinking I might want something bigger than a Russian. What are some good speices that would be good for my local climate during the summer? I have a fenced off area already set up for a tortoise to run around in during the summer and a while room set up for winter time. Or depending on if I get a smaller one I can make a custom enclosure. Someone sugested a red foot but I need to research them a bit more. I'm just looking for some input.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I would research all species you are interested in. Redfoots are great but have heat/ humidity needs that some don't want to deal with.
You might look at the Greek Tortoise family.
Always research adult size of the tortoise, enclosure needs, diet, etc.
Good luck!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I keep Leopards in eastern WA. It is a challenge. I really want some Indian Stars some day. They are so pretty, but have the same heat humidity challenges as Leopards. I really like the personalities of Russians. Sulcatas and Aldabras fascinate me, but I don't have the room or weather for them.I know very little about the rest. Good luck with your research and decision.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Marginated torts are so pretty, and do get a little bigger at 14'', but the care is very similar to a russian!

Reactions: Tom

samm2311

I would get a russian . We have a little one at the momment and he doesnt get to big !

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yellow Turtle gave the correct answer. Marginated all the way.

T.G.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

If you're wanting to keep the tortoise awake and up during the colder months, I'd choose a species that doesn't hibernate. A leopard tortoise is a good mid-sized tortoise and is pretty easy to care for. We have a good leopard tortoise care sheet pinned at the top of our Leopard section. Read the care they take and see if that might fit in with your plans.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not recommend a RF for a dry climate like yours. That's why I don't keep them here.

A leopard, or a marginated are the two that came to my mind upon reading your criteria. I think a hermanni would be good too.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hmmm, very old thread, I think.
But I say leopard, as they're a bit bigger, will suit the climate and are rather beautiful.
What did you get in the end, skiblits?