Need Help (hides in corner)

reed123

Location (City and/or State)
Longview, TX
I have a 2 1/2 year old Aldabra that has a 80'x80' outside pen with eatable grass. I do not have a outside enclosure yet so I carry him inside in the evening with food waiting for him. My problem is when I put him outside in the mornings he heads to a corner and will stay there all day unless I move him. He seems healthy but I think something is going on because I would think he would graze but hardly ever see him grazing. I live in Texas and the temperature is running about 96 but he has plenty of shade. what could be his problem for being so lethargic. Thanks for any advice.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Was he active in this pen previously? How long has he been using the pen?

I ask because I have a 2 year old star tortoise who is very timid, even in his closed chamber. I've determined that he is frightened of being out in the open, so he hides all day in his spot under a plant.

Could yours simply be scared of wide open exposure?

reed123

Longview, TX
I finished the pen last year around August and he was active and eating most of the day. He could be frightened who knows. He stayed in his inside enclosure all winter except a few hours out on days when it warmed up. I guess staying outside all day this year is a hold new experience so he could be scared. He usually eats his hibiscus and heads to a corner and will stay there all day unless I move which I do every day.