Corner love

aimeebeth

Location (City and/or State)
Britain
Hi everyone.
We have a Sulcata tortoise approx 4 years old he is quite small 18 x 12 cm. I have two questions......

Why does he constantly scratch in one corner of his enclosure? It's always the same corner.

Also when will he be ready to be moved to a larger outside enclosure? And what's the best way to keep him warm outside? We are obviously planning to build him his own shed with access to a safe grass patch.

I appreciate any replies.

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Aimeebeth:

Sulcata is a burrowing animal. Since he's not outside where he can dig to China, he just continues to dig in that corner hoping he might just be able to scratch through that hard old floor and get the burrow going. That's the spot he has chosen for his burrow.

I don't raise sulcata, but I think once they're big enough a bird can't carry them off, you can start putting him out during the day then back in a box indoors for the night. But wait until Tom sees this. He'll give you a better answer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The scratching:
1. Could be due to a small or barren enclosure. What size is the enclosure and what "furniture" is in it?
2. Could be due to temperatures being too hot, or too cool. What are your four temps?
3. Could be due to burning eyes. What type of UV bulb are you using?
4. Is this tortoise housed alone? Sometimes they will do this when trying to escape the territory of another tortoise.

Moving outside:
This is a tropical species. As long as it is above about 23 C, sunny, dry and not too windy, they can be outside full time, but how many days do you have there that meet those criteria in a year? I move mine outside full time with a heated night box when they reach about 20-25cm, but that won't work in your climate. Your are going to need a large heated indoor enclosure of some sort.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I put curved heavy vinyl in the corners of my pen. The curves keep them on the move, no place to "nose in".