Need help on ID

jonathan23

Guys i need some help to ID this 2 torts. My guess they are both indian stars ( sorry for the poor quality photo)

Attachments

• 1395855615032.jpg
    1395855615032.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 114

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Looks like indian stars but since it's still very young we cant know for sure. Srilankan stars juveniles also look very similar to indian star. Only time will tell whether it's srilankan or indian.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
One or the other................

Beautiful anyway!!!

jonathan23

Re: RE: Need help on ID

mitchellr said:
Looks like indian stars but since it's still very young we cant know for sure. Srilankan stars juveniles also look very similar to indian star. Only time will tell whether it's srilankan or indian.

Thanks ~ whats the average size to tell their species & sex for a star tortoise?

bouaboua said:
One or the other................

Beautiful anyway!!!

Thanks ~

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Im not an expert in star tortoises so I dont know until what size they can be sexed. Once it grows up they patterns normally change, and if it's very wide spread it's normally a sri star. At what size im also not very sure.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
The only sure way you could tell if they are Sri-lankan or mainland stars is if you know their origins...which sounds obvious :p...but my point is that just by looking at them it's really not possible to tell. Stars tend to mature very quickly. The males do anyway. Anywhere between 3 - 5 inches and you should be able to tell. This usually correlates with 2 - 4 years of good growth.